Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

4402 Controller upgrade problem

I have upgraded all of our 5508 controllers without issues, but when I try to upgrade our 4402 controller I get the error "TFTP Failure while storing in flash!".

I have tried different tftp programs including tftpd32 and tftpd64 on the local lan.

The current Firmware is 7.0.98.0 upgrading to 7.0.240.0

I have searched for answers but everyone says to use tftpd on local lan which I am doing.

****Update****

Even though the firmware copied to the controller and extracted it seems like my error was due to a corrupt file.

I downloaded the firmware again and it worked successfully.

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks sprocket, so it is as simple and repeating steps for each file.

Tell me, I have just downloaded the file from TFTP and I see the below message on the controller, is this correct? Should I just wait for the installation to complete ?

"TFTP receive complete... extracting components."

11 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: 4402 Controller upgrade problem

I hope you downloaded the image (AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-240-0.aes) from cisco.com & using the following command syntax (If you are using WLC CLI). Keep your image in FTP/TFTP root folder.

transfer download datatype code                       

transfer download mode tftp                            

transfer download serverip          

transfer download path .                             

transfer download filename AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-240-0.aes

transfer download start

If you still getting this issue, you can try FTP, instead of TFTP & see if that helps

transfer download datatype code                       

transfer download mode ftp                            

transfer download serverip          

transfer download path .                             

transfer download filename AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-240-0.aes

transfer download username

transfer download password

transfer download start

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I ran the upgrade using ftp and noticed a previous error prior to the Failure while storing in flash! error indicating a possible corrupt image. I will try downloading again and running.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I have upgraded all of our 5508 controllers without issues, but when I try to upgrade our 4402 controller I get the error "TFTP Failure while storing in flash!".

I have tried different tftp programs including tftpd32 and tftpd64 on the local lan.

The current Firmware is 7.0.98.0 upgrading to 7.0.240.0

Did you happen to upgrade the bootstrap? 

Leo, Can you please explain the bootstrap upgrade process, reason I ask is because on the Cisco website for the Wireless Controller upgrade procedure I dont see any mention of the bootstrap.

Just to share little history on my situation and not to hijack this thread but I think it might be useful to 'sprocket' because I am also using the same version as him which is 7.0.98.0.

I have just downloaded the following verison from the Cisco website: AIR-WLC4400-K9-7-0-98-218.aes as I am first jumping to version 218 and then on to the higher versions.

So the next version from 7.0.98.218 is 7.0.230.0 and I noticed with this version there are 2 files, the .aes file and a -ER.aes, as I have not done an upgrade before on a controller what do I need to know regarding this new versions.

Regards

Z.

Download both parts. ER file is the emergency image

Step 18 in the procedure.

Step 6 Click Commands > Download File to open the Download File to Controller page.

Step 7 From the File Type drop-down list, choose Code.

Step 8 From the Transfer Mode drop-down list, choose TFTP or FTP.

Step 9 In the IP Address text box, enter the IP address of the TFTP or FTP server.

Step 10 If you are using a TFTP server, the default values of 10 retries for the Maximum Retries text field, and 6 seconds for the Timeout text field should work fine without any adjustment. However, you can change these values if desired. To do so, enter the maximum number of times that the TFTP server attempts to download the software in the Maximum Retries text box and the amount of time (in seconds) that the TFTP server attempts to download the software in the Timeout text box.

Step 11 In the File Path text box, enter the directory path of the software.

Step 12 In the File Name text box, enter the name of the software file (filename.aes).

Step 13 If you are using an FTP server, follow these steps:

a. In the Server Login Username text box, enter the username to log on to the FTP server.

b. In the Server Login Password text box, enter the password to log on to the FTP server.

c. In the Server Port Number text box, enter the port number on the FTP server through which the download occurs. The default value is 21.

Step 14 Click Download to download the software to the controller. A message appears indicating the status of the download.

Step 15 After the download is complete, click Reboot.

Step 16 If prompted to save your changes, click Save and Reboot.

Step 17 Click OK to confirm your decision to reboot the controller.

Step 18 After the controller reboots, repeat Step 6 to Step 17 to install the remaining file (either the 7.0.240.0 controller software or the Cisco Unified Wireless Network Controller Boot Software 7.0.240.0 ER.aes file).

Thanks sprocket, so it is as simple and repeating steps for each file.

Tell me, I have just downloaded the file from TFTP and I see the below message on the controller, is this correct? Should I just wait for the installation to complete ?

"TFTP receive complete... extracting components."

ahhh, clicked the wrong button and marked as correct.

Sprockets, please also send me the link to the upgrade procedure you using, the link I have on the Cisco site shows only to step 6, I see you have a lot more steps..

Thanks

Zubair

i see your upgrading to only 7.0.230 but the upgrade notes look the same

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_230_0.html

I just realised that upgrading the 4402 is a waste of time anyway. It still wont support the latest APs

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Keep this handy as it will explain what devices are supported on what code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies