Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

4402 with AP in LOCAL mode

Hi All,

I have started a new possition, and part of this involves managing a Cisco 4402 Wireless Controller with around 48 APs.

The AP's are all set to LOCAL mode, Am I correct in thinking tht Local mode tunnels all the traffic from the AP's back to the controller which then forwards it on, on the appropriate vLan?

If this is the case, if i change the mode of the AP to H-REAP mode, the AP will not need to forward the traffic back to the controller but can rather pass it on to the appropriate vLan.

If I am right, and I change the AP's to H-REAP,  I will need to tag the port that the AP is plugged into with each vLan associated with each network that it is providing wireless coverage for?

If I am not on the right track, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Tim Innes-Brown

Everyone's tags (4)
5 REPLIES

Re: 4402 with AP in LOCAL mode

Tim your thinking is correct. But HREAP is more local office deployment. Can you share a little bit about your design and security that you use on wireless ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

We have about 48 AP's connected to the 4402 controller, We are a single Campus school with at anyone time up to 400 users connected. Security is all WPA2-PSK. There are about 10 Wireless Lans all on different vLans. Not all SSID's are available on all AP's, for example, the Science SSID is only availble on AP's around the Science building.

Pretty much all traffic is between the Client and the core/internet, so im not sure if the current set up is causing much of a bottle neck.

I assume that if the Clients were accessing services that were distributed around the campus then the packets would need to travel in to the wireless controller and then back to the service, which would cause more of a bottle neck.

Thanks.

Tim

You might want to consider looking at your uplinks on the WLC and deterime what utilization you have today. You may be surprised and not have much or may have a lot.

Hreap will allow you to dump the traffic off at the switch and the WLC will become more of a managment box, if you will.

Here is a HREAP config example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc3b8.shtml

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Thanks George,

Is there a way to view the port utilisation on the WLC?

I am used to being able to log onto a switch and see a percentage or graph of port utilisation,

The switch the WLC is connected to, I am as yet, unable to find the user name and password.

I have had a look around the WLC interface but cant see anything usefull.

Thanks for your help!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

On the GUI click on the monitor tab > statistics > ports > view stats

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content