Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

4404 DHCP for secondary interface only

Hello,

I have a strange one that I can't figure out.  I currently have the managment interface set to my internal network using our DHCP server.  We also provide another interface to WLAN for a chartity organization.  Their interface and WLAN are locked out of our network (no routes, no nothing) with only VLAN tagging sending out over our backup internet connection.  I have been tasked to take over their DHCP scope (255.255.240.0).  I added the scope into the 4404 just fine but can't seem to assign it.  So, for the sake of argument lets say:

Interface:

management     VLAN 10     10.10.10.10          DHCP = 10.10.10.15

charity               VLAN 20     192.168.160.2     DHCP = ????

WLAN:

Mine               to ->management

Free               to -> charity       

WLC 4404 Scope:

FreeOne     192.168.162.1-192.168.172.250 / 255.255.240.0

If I tell the charity interface to use 192.168.160.2 for the dhcp scope it errors out.  I also tried the DHCP override in the WLAN with no success.  If I set either DHCP option for the charity to aim at the managment interface it does nothing as it can't find it...  Anyone see a easy workaround solution?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Todd,

When you use the WLC as the DHCP server, you want to point the dynamic interface DHCP server to be the WLC management interface.

so charity VLAN 20 192.168.160.2 DHCP=10.10.10.10

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
2 REPLIES

Todd,

When you use the WLC as the DHCP server, you want to point the dynamic interface DHCP server to be the WLC management interface.

so charity VLAN 20 192.168.160.2 DHCP=10.10.10.10

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Steve,

I tried that but nothing happened.  I was hoping that since the 10 dot was a local address it would not.  Holy C... sorry I should have searched more.  Found another article talking about DHCP proxy enabled and checked my controller.  DHCP proxy was not enabled.  I checked it off with the default 82 option of "AP-MAC-SSID" and my allocated leases lite up like a Christmas tree.  Well, problem solved.  Thanks for confirming that I had it half right.  Sorry I missed that detail.

-Todd

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content