Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

5500 Wireless controller basic setup question

Hello.

I'm just learning about wireless networks and my company purchased a 5500 Wireless Controller.

The setup directions look pretty basic.

I can connect to it with a laptop using either the serial connection plgged into the "console port" or using a CAT5 cable plugged directly into the "service port"

I kept the service port 192.168.1.1

My laptop i made 192.168.1.2

I can access the gui with my laptop when it's plugged into the "service port"

I plug a Cat5 cable that is live on the network (I can browse the web with it so i know it's good) into the "console port"

That's where I messed up somewhere.

I can't ping the management address: 192,168,128.250 or log into it via https or http (which i have enabled)

Am I missing something basic?

I'm assuming that once the management port (console port) is working I can access the GUI from anywhere on my network.

Am I using the wrong port?

I've tried both.

Same result.

Just to review I can access the device via the "service port" with my laptop.

During the intial setup i gave the management interface the ip, mask and gateway.

I entered no dhcp info.

The port number for "management" is "1"

Any help would be appriciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David,

Correct. The 8 ports are used to connect to your network. The service port is ONLY used in case you lose network access to the 8 ports (out of band management). So, yes. You will need the SFPs to connect to the switch fabric. The service port does work that way...

After you connect the WLC to the network you will need to properly configure trunking, vlans etc ..

Does this help?

If you find any of this helpful please kindly support the rating system.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
5 REPLIES

David,

I noticted this is your first post here in CSC, WELCOME.

So you know the service port is for out of band mangment and since you can GUI into the WLC it sounds like you have that correct.

Since you issue is on the mangment interface we need to focus on how that is configured.

1) Are you lagging the ports or are you using the WLC without lag? Go to the CONTROLLER tab and look towards the middle is LAG enabled?

2) If you arent using LAG click on controller-->interfaces-->managment

Look towards the middle, what PORT number is being used?

3) Are you pulling the managment vlan to this switch port on the WLC?

4) Are you trunking this port or is it an access port

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Hi George. Thanks for the welcome. I literally just got an email back from my purchasing rep after I described the problem I'm having. He came back with this:

"The customer is correct.  For whatever reason, Cisco designed this WLC without connectivity from the WLC to the rest of the network.  The customer would need to purchase one of the following modules to connect into his network switches.

GLC-T= 152653   For 1000BaseT

GLC-SX-MM= 943558  For 1000GB through Multimode Fiber       

GLC-LH-SM= 128839  For 1000GB through Single Mode Fiber"

So unless I'm mistaken I was trying to use the port for the serial connection as my management port. The eight ports to the right of that are empty. Buying one of the GLC-Ts will give me what I'm missing: a Cat5 mangement port to conect to my network.

Does that sound right?

David,

Correct. The 8 ports are used to connect to your network. The service port is ONLY used in case you lose network access to the 8 ports (out of band management). So, yes. You will need the SFPs to connect to the switch fabric. The service port does work that way...

After you connect the WLC to the network you will need to properly configure trunking, vlans etc ..

Does this help?

If you find any of this helpful please kindly support the rating system.

Yes. Thanks.

When you get your SFPs you stop back and we will anwser any new questions you might have ...

Views
Helpful
Replies