Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

5508 Wireless controller... guest WLAN with VLAN

How do I configure a WLAN and put it (tag) on VLAN 10?

I have our AP's hooked up to trunk ports and a sub interface for VLAN 10 on the router. Basically I am wanting people who connect to the SSID to be tagged with VLAN 10 so it puts them on a seperate network (which only gets out to the internet).

Is this possible? I see where to setup a seperate interface with a VLAN but that isn't what i'm wanting. I'm using FlexConnect with local switching because the controller is at a seperate location from all the branch locations.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 5508 Wireless controller... guest WLAN with VLAN

You need to have the AP in FlexConnect mode first. The ap management Vlan will need to be the native Vlan on the trunk also. When you have that, there is a new tab on the GUI for the AP called FlexConnect. You need to click that and enable Vlan tagging and set your native Vlan. Once that is done, click on the AP and go back to the FlexConnect tab. Now click on mapping and you will see your WLAN (if you set the WLAN to local switching) set the Vlan there to 10 and that should be it since your ap is connected to a trunk port and your passing Vlan 10 locally at that site.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Here is a good guide that shows you how to setup FlexConnect.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24082

-Scott
11 REPLIES

You need to have the AP in FlexConnect mode first. The ap management Vlan will need to be the native Vlan on the trunk also. When you have that, there is a new tab on the GUI for the AP called FlexConnect. You need to click that and enable Vlan tagging and set your native Vlan. Once that is done, click on the AP and go back to the FlexConnect tab. Now click on mapping and you will see your WLAN (if you set the WLAN to local switching) set the Vlan there to 10 and that should be it since your ap is connected to a trunk port and your passing Vlan 10 locally at that site.

-Scott

One thing I forgot to point out there is one WLAN that needs access to VLAN 1. So technically the access points are handling two SSID (Internal and Guest). Internal is VLAN 1 and Guest is VLAN 10.

Also wondering if there is a way to do this globally? There is about 75 AP's

Here is a good guide that shows you how to setup FlexConnect.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24082

-Scott

I think I found a way to globally do it... I create a FlexConnect Group, modify the WLAN VLAN mapping, then add FlexConnect APs to that group.

Would that be the correct way?

You can do it that way if you want. I typically script the commands and paste that on the controller CLI. Which ever works the best for you.

-Scott

I did that but it doesn't appear to be tagging packets with VLAN 10 because it is still picking up DHCP from the default VLAN.

Post a screen shot of the FlexConnect AP wlan to vlan mapping.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I got it backwards.

VLAN 10 was the LAN and default VLAN was external access.

I had to set the native vlan on the AP to 10, then my VLAN mappings for my Internal is set to 10 and external is set to VLAN 1.

It is now functioning correctly! When connecting to "GUEST" it gives 10.10.0.x and INTERNAL gives 192.168.16.x like ti should

Cool... glad you got it working!

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Yup! Thank you so much for helping.

I marked your first response as the correct answer

No problem... thank for supporting the rating system.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies