cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACS and LEAP Authentication Is this Dynamic WEP ??

ptuttle
Level 1
Level 1

I am a bit confused reading through the relese notes on this subject. I am using 11.21 code and setting up my "NON Root" Bridge as a LEAP client.

This works fine.

I do not have any WEP keys entered in either device. If I do enter a WEP key, I can only seem to enter it on the ROOT side.

My question is, Can I setup WEP while using LEAP? How secure is the traffic between the bridges with just LEAP? Is this encrypted? Is there a dynamic WEP key being issiued ?

Any direction here would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

-pat

6 Replies 6

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

This case study under “Security Standards—LEAP Solution” might help you understand dynamic WEP used in LEAP authentication.

Thanks for the reply. Where can I this case study?

-pat

bmcmurdo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

LEAP provides a superset of the functionality that is provided in WEP - if you use LEAP you do not need to define a static WEP key.

By setting the non-root bridge as a LEAP client all the communications between the root and non-root bridge will use a dynamic WEP key.

Other features available with Ciscos WEP implementation (static WEP or LEAP) are;

-- You can WEP key rotation on the RADIUS server to make sure the key is changed periodically - this will prevent IV reuse due to cycling through all the IVs.

-- Turn on the TKIP features and you will prevent Airsnort style tools from being able to exploit the FMS attack on weak IVs to recover your WEP key.

-- Enable MIC to prevent the "bit-flipping" attacks that have been publicized.

Thanks very much for this great info.

-pat

Can you have LEAP and static WEP clients at the same time?

I would like to have all users use LEAP if possible, but occasionally there are some users from an overseas office that want to connect with a static WEP key (128bit). Is this possible?

Thanks,

Arne

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card