Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ACS Appliance performance

I'm using an ACS appliance (5.3) for Tacacs authentication and also hopefully Radius as well.     I upgraded it to 5.3.0.40.9 as I was having some performance issues with it when accessing the gui and read somewhere that this version was supposed to be better.     Unfortunately its not better, its actually worse, sometimes taking 20-30 seconds to display a screen (e.g. Radius authentication) and taking too long to save policy after making changes. 

It also now regularly displays this error which isn't easy to get rid of unless I log out and back in which is frustrating.    Anyone any ideas, is it worth upgrading to 5.4 and does that change the policies at all?  The performance issue almost seems like a disk fragmentation issue.

thanks

chrisACS error.JPG

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

I believe this question would be best suited in the Security > AAA discussion section.  The area where you currently posted is more focused on the Wireless Mobility portion of security. 

Cheers,
Erwin

How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Ok yes I've just seen this!   I'll repost, thanks.

chris

Problem: "ACS runtime process is not running on this instance at this time."

Users cannot login to the ACS GUI and this error message is received:

"The ACS runtime process is not running on this instance at this time. Changes can be made to the ACS configuration (these will be saved in the database), but changes will not take effect until the runtime process is restarted."

Solution

Manually restarting the runtime process from the CLI and rebooting the appliance resolves this issue. This is a minor issue and does not create any performance issue for the ACS. There are two minor bugs filed to observe this behavior. For more information, refer to Cisco bug IDs CSCtb99448 (registered customers only) and CSCtc75323 (registered customers only) .

In order to restart the runtime processes manually, issue these commands from the ACS CLI:

acs stop runtime

acs start runtime

Note :- For more informations

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9911/products_tech_note09186a0080bb8100.shtml

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content