Helpful
Replies

Ad hoc network attacks

jkoopmans
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have read an article where they described the following attack:

"If you look at your wireless card, it can operate in infrastructure mode, which is normal mode, but then there is also ad hoc mode, where you do peer-to-peer networking. Well, now [hackers] can change your card to ad hoc mode, where they are connected directly to your PC and can access all your information, including your access codes."

Is this in any way possible and if so how do you protect yourself against such an attack?

Thanks,

Joost Koopmans

Product Manager VoIP & WLAN

ACAL Netherlands

2 Replies 2

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

This makes no sense to me. I would question the source. If the hacker gained access to your computer and changed it to ad hoc over some back door wouldn't he/she get knocked off when the wireless link goes down? And then certainly you'll notice your connection going down and will have to go back in and change it to infrastructure mode to bring it back up. I would think this would send up "red flags" and everybody would be talking about the problem.

kkincaid
Level 1
Level 1

Well, think of it this way.

By using Infrastructure mode, you manage traffic and requir it to pass through an access point for authentication, right? Right.

By using Ad-hoc, a user can access files on your computer directly without going through an access point or getting authenticated.

Using Ad-hoc mode improperly is like extending your network outside a building and installing an ethernet port in the parking lot of your office and letting people plug in and get on and do what ever they are capable of doing. It's just not wise.

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card