Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a guest VLAN to 1240s

I have some Cisco 1240 Access Points which are not centrally managed.  I want to add 802.1Q trunking so as to be able to provision a guest VLAN.  But a trick is that these APs are in some very high ceilings.  I would like to provision the new trunking and guest VLAN without having to remove them from the ceiling.  Someone suggested I just make the native VLAN save as existing and make the port to which attaches a trunked port.  But when I did this I lost

connectivity to the Access Point.  Access came back as soon as I made the switch port an access port.  Can someone suggest a recipe for how I can add the trunking and guest VLAN without having to get into the ceilings to remove them and configure them via console or other?  Thank you. 

Everyone's tags (4)
2 REPLIES

Re: Adding a guest VLAN to 1240s

Create your config then tftp it to the start config. Then when you are ready reboot the AP and change the switch port.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Adding a guest VLAN to 1240s

Stephen Rodriguez wrote:

Create your config then tftp it to the start config. Then when you are ready reboot the AP and change the switch port.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

You can do that but you need to be careful because if there is something wrong with the config and you can't reach the AP then you can't correct the config via tftp back again and you have to unmount the AP.

It is better you start doing the config with the easist AP to unmount from the ceiling.

You need to configure sub-interfaces in your current AP to support multiple VLANs.

Hope those links will help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14496

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content