cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding VLAN on AP's

edongskiu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i got 5 1242 AP's all up and running (with authentication) but all are running a single VLAN. Please advice where i could get a documentation on implementing multiple VLANs.

i need somehting that can still use my existing authentication for ssid:

authentication open eap eap_methods

authentication network-eap eap_methods

authentication key-management wpa

guest-mode

infrastructure-ssid

the switch is configured as switchport access vlan 3

I've used this page but has no authentication documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

thanks!

2 Replies 2

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

To setup VLANs on the AP all you need to do is create subinterfaces on the radio and fast ethernet interfaces. Make sure to configure them with the encapsulation dot1q... statement and assign them to bridge groups.

Next add the vlan argument to the encryption statements (encryption vlan 3 mode...).

Finally assign the ssid to the VLAN.

dot11 ssid test

vlan 3

authentication...

I have a related question. We use 802.1x for wired port authentication and have a number of VLANs. Is there a way to dynamically add the VLANs and bridge groups? I think I had stumbled across a limitation of about 8 statically configured VLANs. These APs are running in autonomous mode also. I would like to make all of our VLANs available wirelessly so that users can retain their correct VLAN no matter where or how they are connected as the VLANs correspond to firewall exceptions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: