cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adjusting power level

cef2lion2
Level 1
Level 1

How do you manually adjust power levels on AP1131 that are attached to a WLC? We have a need to turn down the signal so it doesn't bleed outside the room as much. Students are getting the signal in some of there rooms and using the wireless to avoid there wired connections which have daytime bandwidth restrictions.

Craig

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the wlc, you click on wireless and then on the left, you have under Radio: 802.11a/n and 802.11b/g/n. Click on either one... you will see al list of ap's. Click the arrow or icon all the way to the right of the ap and hit configure. There you can hard set the channel and power. Hope this helps.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, is power level 1 the highest? When in global mode does that mean the WLC is adjusting power automatically? If two APs are on the same WLC and close to each other and in global mode might the WLC adjust power levels according?

1 is 100% power and every level down cuts the power in half. By default the WLC does Auto RF if it was enabled during the startup wizard. AP's next to each other, but on different channels can be on power level 1, because they are not overlapping channels. If you have two or more WLC's and they are in the same RF group, then the wlc's will get information from the AP's and adjust accordingly. This doesn't mean that you will be happy about the results though.

-Scott

I see the screen for auto RF. Ours was off. On our WiSM 4.2 WLC controllers I enabled that. We have a 4402 for testing 5.X code. THe screens for auto RF under 5.X code have change by the looks of them. Got this under control. Thanks!

I would stay away from 5.0!

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: