Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Advice neede on which Wireless AP to buy

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have a customer who currently has a cheap wireless router that he uses for his work network, it is unsecured as he allows his customers to freely use his internet. The building is a shop and is on 3 levels so the wireless reception isn't great on higher floors. All his PC's and tills connect to the same router.

My question is: id like to secure his network and just make it for work use, install a new cisco wireless access point into his  (which will plug into his existing router) that will be unsecured and for customer use. The issue is I dont want the customers to beable to locate devices on his private network. Can anyone advise on what I need to buy and how to configure for the above scenario.

Kind Regards

Alan

2 REPLIES

Advice neede on which Wireless AP to buy

You need some device that is capable of doing an ACL, and running multiple VLANs

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Advice neede on which Wireless AP to buy

I'm with Steve.

You need a router than can do ACL and can do the routing.  You put internal networks in a separate IP Subnet and guests in a different IP Subnet.

Some of the low-end Cisco routers, for example the 860, 880 and 890, support Zone-Based Firewall (ZBW) so this is another layer of security.

You add ACL which can strengthen the security of the network.  With ACL you could, for example, limit the IP Subnet that has remote access to the router and access points.

Cisco Guide to Harden Cisco IOS Devices

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content