Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Air 3602i not registering with 5508 controller

I can not get our 3602i AP's to register with our 5508 controller which is running 7.2.103.0 code. 

We keep seeing an error in the log on the WLC   "AAA Authentication Failure for UserName:c46413c08e92  User Type: WLAN USER"

and on the Access Point we are seeing

*Mar  7 15:20:40.503: %CAPWAP-5-SENDJOIN: sending Join Request to 10.31.247.40
*Mar  7 15:20:40.515: %DTLS-5-ALERT: Received WARNING : Close notify alert from
*Mar  7 15:20:40.515: %DTLS-5-SEND_ALERT: Send FATAL : Close notify Alert to 10.
31.247.40:5246
*Mar  7 15:20:40.515: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Go join a capwap controller
*Mar  7 15:20:40.000: %CAPWAP-5-DTLSREQSEND: DTLS connection request sent peer_i
p: 10.31.247.40 peer_port: 5246
*Mar  7 15:20:40.487: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio
0, changed state to down
*Mar  7 15:20:40.507: %CAPWAP-5-DTLSREQSUCC: DTLS connection created sucessfully
peer_ip: 10.31.247.40 peer_port: 5246
*Mar  7 15:20:40.507: %CAPWAP-5-SENDJOIN: sending Join Request to 10.31.247.40
*Mar  7 15:20:40.687:  status of voice_diag_test from WLC is false

I entered the CAPWAP ap controller ip address directly into the AP so it shouldn't be an option 43 DHCP issue

Any suggestions? 

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Re: Air 3602i not registering with 5508 controller

I will say from personal experience, the only time I've experienced this is adding some 1142's and finding that they had a mesh config  on them out of the box for some odd reason.  Take a look at your AP, sh flash: and see if you see anything odd.

15 REPLIES
Silver

Do you have "Authorize MIC APs against auth-list or AAA" checked under Security -> AP Policies?

If yes then you need to add the MAC for the AP to your AAA server as a user.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Can you please post the following output:

WAP:

1.  sh version;

2.  sh inventory

WLC:

1.  sh sysinfo

Community Member

I will say from personal experience, the only time I've experienced this is adding some 1142's and finding that they had a mesh config  on them out of the box for some odd reason.  Take a look at your AP, sh flash: and see if you see anything odd.

Community Member

Ruan, you are correct, The AP's were delivered in MESH mode.  With the advice of Cisco TAC I added the AP's to the MAC filtering table under security.  Once the AP's registered I was able to change them to LOCAL mode and they came up as normal

Thanks for the advice, you got me looking in the right direction. 

Thanks Raun for sharing the workaround 5+ and Al for confirming the resolution.

Regards,

Vinay Sharma

Thanks & Regards
Community Member

So the bigger question- why are these coming out of box in mesh mode? I'm seeing the same thing, without a rhyme or reason (seemingly)?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Who really knows. Others have posted on the forums with the same issue but its rare especially if they are brand new out of the box. I see this when you have set them in bridge mode which is normal to see. That is my 2 cents.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

not following the logic- out of the box new, APs ordered under same part number should all act the same way. Typically, YOU put them in bridge mode. These are coming out of the box in bridge mode. It creates extra work, and it says that something in production/QA is inconsistent. I expect better for the cost and from the market leader in wireless.

Let me explain it differently.... sometimes the image might not be correct.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Community Member

Agreed- which I'm saying is unacceptable:)

hahaha.... I hear ya.  Watching what's going on in the forums is a real good way to find out whats broke or not.  Take a look at the documents posted also on the forum as it will also have reference to things that are not working.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Not to beat a dead horse. I recently received access points that were "service provider" instead of the normal part number. I question the QA as well. Lets hope forum post like this bring awareness to the siutation.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2012/3/3/cisco-ap-vci-60-serviceprovider.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

If all of the APs are received as Mesh mode then either Mesh option checked when ordering or Ordered as Mesh mode. If only few of them are on Mesh mode then it could be due to human error.

SWLAP3600E-MESH-K9 - Enterprise Wireless Mesh - AP3600e Controller-based SW image.

This document was generated from the following discussion:-

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24095

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Thanks & Regards
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content