Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-SAP1602E-E-K9 - WDS with WPA PSK

Paolo Piutz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to configure some access point to do roaming. I read of WDS.

I tried first with 2 ap.

It' s possible to configure 2 ap with WDS and set WPA authentication like 2 access point without roaming?

Thanks.

Paolo.

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WDS is only if your using 802.1x. If your using WPA2/AES PSK, then you don't need WDS. Roaming will happen with WPA2 or WPA PSK normally.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Paolo,

If you are using a PSK, then all you need to do is configure the AP exactly the same way, with the exception of the IP address on the BVI interface.

if you are using 802.1x, then you would want to configure WDS for the key caching.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801c951f.shtml#step1

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Ok,

thank you for your support. I had already configured for WDS and I can read:

AP006#sh wlccp wds

MAC: 885a.9258.3a9d, IP-ADDR: 192.168.123.6  , Priority: 200

Interface BVI1, State: Administratively StandAlone - ACTIVE

AP Count: 0   , MN Count: 0

AP005#sh wlccp wds

MAC: e4c7.22b2.d7f4, IP-ADDR: 192.168.123.5  , Priority: 100

Interface BVI1, State: BACKUP

Currently ACTIVE WDS - MAC: 885a.9258.3a9d, Priority: 200, IP-ADDR: 192.168.123.6

I read Cisco doc. but often we have not time to read all (very big documentation).

I thought that the access point can communicate with each other with WDS to pass client data connected using wpa psk.

So VoIP on wireless connection without WDS work well?

Thank you.

Paolo.

HI Paolo,

Yes you can if you configure WDS, however as its voice ensure you have a site survey done to get the coverage correct. WDS also looks after  radio resource management. WDS also provides fasr secure roaming.

As per my knowledge: So long as you are on the same subnet WDS with Automonous AP works perfectly.

Regards

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco will always tell you to run 802.1x with cckm or EAP-fast. This required WDS and you would need to reconfigure the AP and IP phones. WDS does not work with PSK method or any non 802.1x authentication. Even though you have it set, it's not going to do anything. Can PSK work... Sure... As long as your RF environment has been surveyed properly for voice and you have -65dbi or better signal and -25dbi or better SNR. If you don't have a good RF deployment for voice, then nothing can help you there. There are requirements in those big guides that are important to understand. I would try it out on PSK and see if it works for you or not. If not, I would try to understand if it's your ap deployment which is the issue or not.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Paolo Piutz
Level 1
Level 1
Thanks for all the answers,

but I'm still a little confused 

Then, which of the three statements is correct?

1. you can configure wds + psk (wpa, ecc) using an access point as a server: in this way I will roam between access points.
  2. you can configure wds + psk (wpa, ecc) using an access point as a server but it is useless. (WDS is only if your using 802.1x...etc, using WPA2/AES PSK, then you don't need WDS. Roaming will happen with WPA2 or WPA PSK normally...)
  3. you cannot configure wds + psk using an access point as a server (WDS does not work with PSK method or any non 802.1x authentication, ....etc).

Thanks a lot,

Paolo.

Hi Paolo,

You just need to remember two things:

1. If you are using 802.1x then only you need to configure WDS.

2. If you are using WPA/PSK then you do not need WDS.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card