cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1042 wireless N not broadcastin

M.Richmond
Level 1
Level 1

I have an Aironet 1042 wireless AP if I create an SSID with no security it shows up as wireless N when I see it on a windows 7 laptop.  As soon as I apply any security settings is shows up as G and not N.  Has anybody got any ideas on why this could be?  I just want to be able to authenticate with a Windows 2008 server running NPS - this works fine but I obviously want to connect at N speed and not G.

Cheers,

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

To get N speeds here is the high points..

1> Open auth + no encryption + WMM enabled + all MCS rates enabled

OR

2> ONLY WPA 2 (PSK or Enterprise) + AES Encryption (Not TKIP) + WMM enabled + all MCS rates enabled

Lemme know if this helps and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

To get N speeds here is the high points..

1> Open auth + no encryption + WMM enabled + all MCS rates enabled

OR

2> ONLY WPA 2 (PSK or Enterprise) + AES Encryption (Not TKIP) + WMM enabled + all MCS rates enabled

Lemme know if this helps and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

LOL... You were quick that time Surendra! You beat me by a minute!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

ha ha

Regards
Surendra BG

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Welcome Matt. I see its your first post.

Yes, your issue is likly becuase for 802.11n to work you either need to have an OPEN network or use WPA2/AES. When you added your security, did you apply anything other than WAP2/AES? Also WMM needs to be enabled.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for the quick reply!!  I have applied TKIP encryption - I pressume that it is what is causing my problem.  All my other AP's are 1130s and I just set this up the same way - I will just change the set up on it.  Thanks again guys.

Correct, the IEEE is steering the technology to a more secure posture. This is why its required. There is no reason why it wouldnt work with TKIP. But again, this is their way to move away from less secure postures with the new standard.

I see.  I will have to change all the other AP's also then as we use group policy to push the profile out.  Makes it easier if there is just one profile with one set of encryption on it.  Thanks again.

Matt

Correct, if you want consistent romaing then yes. Clients will not like seeing beacons from APs with different security postures for the same SSID. Some clients will poop themselves in the process.

One more thing - i can't see where to enable WMM - where abouts is the setting??

Cheers,

Matt

WLANS-->Select your SSID-->QOS-->WMM policy Drop down

Mark as optional if you have a mixed enviorment ..

Here is the doc..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_3g_JA/configuration/guide/s43qos.html#wp1047469

or the comamnd is

dot11 qos mode wmm

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks guys - appreciated!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: