cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet WLANs and VLANs

ED CARMODY
Level 4
Level 4

I have a customer looking to deploy a WLAN. His users are distributed over 3 VLANs. He would like to have his users be able to roam throughout the WLAN, and still retain their VLAN assignments.

We thought we could do this via dynamic VLAN ports, but since learned that each port can only be a member of a single VLAN.

Is there any way to configure the 350 Series APs to support trunking? Failing that, how do you implement VLANs over a WLAN?

6 Replies 6

cody.roche
Level 1
Level 1

There is no current support for VLANs on the 340 or 350 series.

I have typically isolated the wireless network to its own VLAN in my installations. This is a requirement if you want to roam between access points.

I have heard rumors that VLAN support will be added to the products, however I don't know if this will be a software or hardware upgrade. I suspect that this could be a very interesting solution, since VLANs are not typically supported over a shared media, i.e. hub ports.

We just put all the AP’s in the same VLAN/WLAN. This will also handle the roaming aspects in a straightforward manner.

There might be a workaround but you’d have to get your Cisco design engineer (SE) to look at it more closely.

For a given building, we put all the Access Points on the same subnet (our subnets map 1 to 1 w/ VLANs) to avoid issues with having to release and renew DHCP settings as you passed between subnets.

gillins
Level 1
Level 1

I have been told that what you are asking is coming out in the next release of code. Named K2. I believe that it is scheduled for early fall.

Another option that I just recently found is a Moblie IP client and server implementation. The Cisco IOS routers support the AA and FA functions of mobile IP, however Cisco does not currently have a Mobile IP client or server.

Two companies that do offer these applications are NetMotion Wireless (www.netmotionwireless) and Birdstep Technology (www.birdstep.com). They will allow for VLAN isolation over any type of network (Ethernet, WLAN, and various truly mobile protocols like CDMA and GSM). You do need a Mobile IP server and all VLANs need to be able to route to the server.

Cody, thanks for the tip. I'm going to check out their beta demo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: