cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Manager interface and port config on 4400 controllers

vigleik
Level 1
Level 1

The quick start guide for 4400 wlc states "Cisco recommends no more than 25 APs per port". As far as I know, the controller has one single AP manager interface mapped to one of the ports, which all APs must connect to. Using a 4402-50 wlc and layer 3 LWAPP, how can I make AP's connect to a particular port on the controller ?

Is port bundling on the switch, like Etherchannel, a way to do it ?

I also wonder why Cisco says that the AP Manager and Management interfaces usually are on the same vlan. Then all LWAPP traffic will go through the Management network, which is the opposite of recommendations in the Cisco SAFE blueprint.

5 Replies 5

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

The AP-manager interface is used for Layer 3 communications between the controller and lightweight access points. It must have a unique IP address and is usually configured on the same VLAN or IP subnet as the management interface

I know that.

I found the answer to my first question in the config guide.

Vigleik

sungy
Level 1
Level 1

If you enabled LAG on the controller, you DO NOT have to worry about 25APs per port. I believe the 25 APs per port came from way back when controller code did not support LAG.

Since this is already open I have a question. When I enable the LAG, will that also act as a failover for the ports? IE if I have a port plugged into 1 switch and another plugged into another switch if switch A fails will the WAPs still find the 4402?

When you enable LAG, the other end have to be a trunking etherchannel. So, you can't create etherchannel between two separate switches. However, you can use stacks of 3750 to create L2 redundancy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card