cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP neighbors

reidg
Level 1
Level 1

We're using WCS with controllers, and cisco Access Points. Can anyone tell me why none of our access points are seeing each other as neighbors, in fact they all seem to see each other as rogues.

ta

11 Replies 11

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

CDP packets can only detect directly connected neighbors and APs are never connected to each other directly. They are always connected via switch so you will see you infra switch in AP CDP neighbor list and infra switch will see AP as its CDP neighbor.

CDP packets are not exachanged on AIR as beacons and that is the reason APs can detect rogue APs but cannot detect other AP as its CDP neighbor.

If you connect your APs to a hub you will see all APs connected to hub as their CDP neighbor list but it is not a recommended design for AP physical connectivity.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

thanks for the response, what your saying make sense but surely there must be something within the WCS that would let you set up neighbors, or at least stop the AP identifying each other as rogues?

There is. Its not CDP that is identifying your neighbor APs as rogues. You need to make sure your controllers are part of the same mobility group then all your APs regardless of the controller they are associated with will see each other as within the same system.

Thanks, I've checked that and the controllers are in the same mobility group, however the ap still show as rogues, what am I missing, at.

HI Friend,

Can you also check if "RF-Network Name" is same on all the controllers?

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur, yes its the same and matches the mobility name.

Hi Friend,

The rogue AP which you see does they belong to your controller or some outside 3rd party APs? I mean do you see any AP which has joined your controller and also listed as Rogue AP?

Regards,

Ankur

yep, thats what we're seeing joined to the controllers but also listed as rogues.

bhbachman
Level 1
Level 1

We see this at times but by shifting APs to other controllers I can limit it. I have 7 4404-100 controllers and make sure that in a given area atleast 1 AP from each controller exists. That seems to limit this problem.

For example if you have a 3 floor building and have 1st floor all on controller a, and 2nd and 3rd floor on controller b, you will likely see rogues as you describe. If you were to put at least one AP on 1st Floor on controller b, and one on each of 2nd and 3rd on controller a you should see the problem go away.

Just what I have found and have been told by some engineers we have had help with designs.

I understand where your coming from with that suggestion, however in my setup all the access points that are in a building are all registered with the a single controller, and still see each other as rogues.

ta

Wow...that I haven't seen before. What has TAC said?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: