Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP roaming - drops when connecting to Aironet 2600

I have 3 Aironet 1140's in my environment.  I needed some more coverage, so I've added another AP - this time an Aironet 2600.  All are standalone devices, no controller.  Roaming from 1140 to 1140 is fine - everything works as expected and devices stay connected.  However, when roaming from one of the 1140's to the 2600, connectivity is lost for approximately 5 minutes.

Configs are the same on all AP's.  All of the AP's are plugged directly into the same switch (192.168.100.248).  This switch is uplinked to my core switch (192.168.100.250).  When I roam to the 2600, I can still ping 100.248, but cannot ping 100.250 or anything else connected to the 100.248 switch.

Thought it was an ARP issue with the switch, cleared ARP on the switch and the core switch without any change.  ARP cache on the AP's is not turned on.  And if it was an ARP issue with the switch, I would expect to see the same issue roaming to the 1140's as well.

Anyway, after 5 minutes, connectivity returns to normal.  Roaming back from the 2600 to one of the 1140's is no problem - everything stays connected.  It doesn't matter if I wait the 5 minutes to restore connectivity or immediately walk back to one of the 1140's range.

Is there something different about the 2600 that I'm missing?  Not seeing anything in the configs that gives me any clue.  Thanks in advance.

Everyone's tags (3)
4 REPLIES

Jamie,Interesting issue. I

Jamie,

Interesting issue. I just want to bring to your attention that with wireless controllers - that you don't use - the default ARP timeout is 300 seconds (5 minutes). so I am not sure if it is by anyway related.

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Turns out it was my switch

Turns out it was my switch causing the issue.  Looking at the ARP table on it, I noticed some odd MAC addresses that I couldn't find anywhere on my network and when I cleared the ARP table, they immediately returned.  I ended up rebooting the switch after hours, which appears to have solved the problem.

It still seems odd to me that I would only see this with one of the 4 AP's, but at least it's working now.

Thanks Jamie for sharing the

Thanks Jamie for sharing the info. +5.

You're right. that's strange to have that with only one AP.

any difference on switch port config for this AP?

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Nothing different on the

Nothing different on the switch port config.  I did try swapping ports at one point yesterday as well, before the reboot.  And this switch is a very basic setup - no VLANs, port aggregation, flow control, etc.  Just a simple switch.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content