Views
Helpful
Replies

AP wont change primary WLC w/o re-boot.

Phreddan Hm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I have som problem with a WiSM2-wlc running 7.3.101.0. We have APs that should be moved to an other WLC and we want to to it as smooth as possible. But when changing the primary WLC for an AP, the AP will not move to newly configured WLC. As for moving a AP to the WiSM2, its not a problem, they move to within minutes.

I have tried some different scenarios, move from and to:

WiSM2(7.3.101.0) -> WiSM2 (7.3.101.0)

WiSM2(7.3.101.0) -> WiSM (7.0.240.0)

and also tested with differnt AP-models, AP1142, AP2602 and AP3602, but same "problem" with all AP-models. I thinik that there is something wrong with this WLC, we have re-booted it but there is no differnce.

Anyone have a clue where to continue the trouble shooting?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can you mark this thread as "Answered"?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's not right.

The 2600 should not be able to join your WiSM1 controller.

Sorry, too quick on the keyboard!

You´re right! For the 2602 and 3602 I only have tested WiSM2->WiSM2

Thanks!

You´re right! For the 2602 and 3602 I only have tested WiSM2->WiSM2

So what's the problem again?

WiSM2 are running different firmware than the WiSM1.

So when your 1140, 2600 and 3600 falls back from WiSM2 to WiSM1, only the 1140 and 3600 will go across.  When the APs go across, they will download the firmware for WiSM1 and reboot.

Same holds true with the APs return back to the WiSM2.

Besides, what you are doing now is about to become obsolete due to High Availability, Stateful Switch Over (AP SSO) for WiSM2.

That if I configure an AP with another primary WLC, the AP will not join that WLC. It stays with the one its joined to when I do the configuration. But if I re-boot the AP it joins the correct WLC.

That if I configure an AP with another primary WLC, the AP will not join that WLC. It stays with the one its joined to when I do the configuration. But if I re-boot the AP it joins the correct WLC.

If you are using "old school" primary/secondary controller, it'll take (by default) around 20 seconds for an AP to go from one WLC to another.

Ok, forget about my write mistake with AP-models, I have only tested things that should be possible. =)

As I wrote, no AP (same for all models) will not leave the "problem-WLC" to another primary WLC (that of course supports that AP-model), without a re-boot.

What is the settings of your "AP Failover Priority"?

Leo Laohoo wrote:

What is the settings of your "AP Failover Priority"?

AP failover prio is not configured globally, so "disable"..

AP failover prio is not configured globally, so "disable"..

You just solved your own problem.

Ok, but I´m not really with you... its not enabled on any WLC in the network.

Solved it... AP Fallback was disabled on that WLC.. :-)

Thanks for your help!

Can you mark this thread as "Answered"?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card