Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Apple Airplay not working on WLC 4402 wireless network

I've got 3 WLC 4402 controllers and the wireless is working perfectly except for 1 issue. We are trying to connect an apple tv, so we can stream picture, videos etc from ipads and Macbooks to a large display for media teaching.

The setup works at home, but not at work.

The apple TV is on the same network as the wireless apple devices, (we use a 10.6.4.x-10.6.5.254 range), both are dhcping the addresses (have tried fixing but that made no difference). I've enabled multicasting and igmp snooping and set the multicast address as 239.0.0.0 and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or overcome the same issue?

11 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Can you elaborate what you mean by "not working"?

At home the airplay icon would automatically appear on the ipad and the apple tv and ipad would see each other and I was able to send music, video etc from the ipad to the apple tv and output it to my tv. Try the same equipement at work and the ipad doesn't get the airplay icon and can't see the apple tv.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Apple Airplay not working on WLC 4402 wireless network

What code are you running on the 4400's? I would disable the multicast you have configured. Did you enable global multicast?

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ver 6.0.182.0.on 2 of the WLC and 6.0.199.4 on 1. Multicast was never congiured, only just enabled mulitcast (controller - mulitcast - enable multicast and enabled snooping).

If you connect a Mac book to the wired side (same vlan) does it work?

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

works on the LAN not the wireless.

I don't know what else it can be.  I have it running on 5508's with 7.0.116.0 with just global multicast enabled.

-Scott

One other thing... the Apple AirPlay needs to be wired and peer to peer blocking had to be disabled for us to get it to work.

-Scott

Steve,

Just to clarify. Are your "i" devices all on the same subnet  (wireless and wired) ..

Scott, shouldnt pim- be enabled on the SVI interface as well ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

How we have it setup, since everything is in the same subnet (wired an wireless) we didn't even enable multicast on the switch. We just had to make sure the Apple TV was wired which is a requirement. We also to disable P2P blocking. Now, we had Global multicast enabled for other devices, but we did not have multicast configured. We still were using Unicast. As far as I know, we didn't ask the client to configure multicast on the network itself.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Cisco Employee

make sure the address 239.0.0.0 is not being used by any other application in the network. You will need to enable multicast on the wired side (sparse mode or dense mode) and make sure you enable it one the vlans where the management interface, AP manager interface lies, APs are on and the dynamic interface mapped to the wlan.

If this does not work. Try disabling igmp snooping.

last try would be using multicast - unicast mode

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content