Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply Licensing for 5508 HA

Hi All,

I have 2 5508, 5508-A has 500 permanent licenses and 5508-B 200 evaluation licenses, I'm setting up location awareness by adding 180 APs

to 5508-B and then migrating APs on 5508-A to 5508-B and then setting up HA. It is being done this way to avoid disruption to production setup whilst testing, in total I will have 300 APs.

I just need clarification on a couple of points.

1. can I apply additional eval licenses to 5508-B so it supports 300 APs

2. If I apply the HA license to 5508-A, will it push the permanent license count to 5508-B and become standby or will the configuration

on 5508-B be pushed to 5508-A and the APs disconnect from 5508-B and move to 5508-A and 5508-A is primary whilst 5508-B remains secondary.

3. In the event of failover will this be transparent to the MSE and Prime 1.3

I have read the High Availability (AP SSO) Deployment Guide, and wonder if I'm making it to complicated in terms of migrating APs

between controllers and should just work on the production controller, but be careful whilst doing it.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Apply Licensing for 5508 HA

Well you already have two WLC's right... so no need to purchase an HA sku WLC.  You just need to purchase a base 50 license for your other WLC, which will be used as the HA pair.  Your primary WLC will need to AP count license.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
10 REPLIES

Well I don't know if this migration will be transparent. The license for an HA sku WLC is 500 which is the max, but the real license count depends on the primary WLC. The HA WLC just needs a 50 ap license to perform the HA role. I don't really think you should use eval license for HA as you will have to disable AP SSO in order to add a true license and then enable AP SSO. This might become an issue if when you disable AP SSO, your wireless goes down. HA AP SSO hasn't been very stable and that's why there is always risk in doing what you want to do.

Like the saying goes... Proceed with caution:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Bronze

Hi,

-If your 5508-B WLC does not have 50 AP permenant license or its not a HA-SKU part number, you will not be able to configure HA.

-onces the HA is configured correctly, the license in case of failover will be inherited to the secondary WLC.

-It will be trasperant to both, MSE and Prime, and even for the AP's

So just to clarify, I have a choice. I can either order a second 5508 with 50 permanent  licenses and enable HA, this new controller (5508-B) will then be the standby in 1:1 configuration and if primary 5508-A fails all the APs move over to 5508-B.

OR

I can order AIR-CT5508-HA-K9 and allow 5508-A to push license count over to standby unit when it boots up.and configuration is still 1:1

In terms of licenses, is their there a specific license part number for HA or does HA-SKU and AIR-CT5508-KA-K9

refer to the same thing.

Well you already have two WLC's right... so no need to purchase an HA sku WLC.  You just need to purchase a base 50 license for your other WLC, which will be used as the HA pair.  Your primary WLC will need to AP count license.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

My 2nd controller is a loaner from supplier at the moment, so I will just have to look at the numbers to see which is best value:  A 5508 with 50 adder licenses or HA sku WLC

HA sku is the cheapest, but you can never change it later to an ap licensed WLC. So that is the catch. HA isn't that stable at the moment and you can just search the forums for that. Eventually I'm hoping it would be stable like how standalone WLC's are these days.

-Scott

Thanks Scott,

your answers always give pause for thought.

cheers

Just do your research is what I would suggest.

-Scott

I quoted the difference between the ha controller sku and a controller with 50 ap license. The 50 ap license controller was 2000 dollars more ..

May be worth the 2000 so you can convert back to a reg controller if needed ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

For high-availability (HA) controllers when you enable HA, the controllers synchronize with the enabled

license count of the primary controller and support high availability for up to the license count enabled on the

primary controller.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content