Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Managing Controllers with Cisco Prime™

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Managing Controllers with Cisco Prime™With  Aunudrei Oliver

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation.   This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about how to manage controllers with Cisco Prime™.  Our expert, Aunudrei Oliver, will cover controller management, configuration, and optimization with Cisco Prime™ in a Cisco® Unified Wireless Network.

Aunudrei Oliver is an Advanced Services Wireless network consulting engineer supporting Cisco enterprise accounts. He has supported the Cisco Wireless Networks for more than 10 years, with the last 2 years being in Cisco Advanced Services. In that capacity he supported some of Cisco’s largest wireless and Cisco Prime™ integrations. He teaches CCNA® level certification courses, holds various wireless certifications, and is very active in the wireless community.

Remember to use the rating system to let Aunudrei know if he gave you an adequate response. 

Because of the volume of attendees expected during this event, Aunudrei might not be able to answer every question. Remember that you can continue the conversation in the Wireless subcommunity, Security and Network Management, shortly after the event. This event lasts through September 20, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and those of other Cisco Support Community members.

12 Replies 12

John Ventura
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aunudrei,

We have a mix of Cisco and non-Cisco equipment, can Prime be used to administer the non-Cisco switches as well?

thank you,

John

John,

Great question, Prime does have support for the third party devices I would recommend that for specific vendor you verify the level of support. From a wireless controllers perspective these are some of the options that are supported on the third part devices.

• Auto Discovery of a 3rd party Device
  • Basic Inventory collection
  • Basic lifecycle management of 3rd party device
  • Ability to show traps and syslog for 3rd party devices
  • Device reachability status polling
  • Ability to load new MIBs & to create new monitoring templates

Jessica Deaken
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can we upload custom SNMP MIBs or use new released for monitoring infrastructure in Prime? looking forward to your assistance on this.

thanks,

Jessica

Jessica,

The has been a lot of buzz around the concept of custom MIB and SNMP monitoring. As it pertains to new MIB's you can use SNMP templates with Prime to monitor devices using new ones available in Prime but, you also have the ability to upload new ones. Try the link below for more information, if you do a search within the document for custom SNMP it should take you to the correct section. If you are running Prime 1.2 or later from the Lifecycle Management view the path is Design > Custom SNMP Templates hope that answers your question.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/deployment_guide_c07-721232.html

Siavosh,

That question is a bit out of my area of expertise, but I know sometimes you're you just want someone who can point you in the right direction. I did a little bit of checking for you and found a link to additional information. Looking at previous requirements the IOS version looks correct I have included a link that should get you going in the right direction

Good luck

www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipv6/configuration/

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-577519.html

sia_haghighi_2
Level 1
Level 1

i have problem for DHCP snooping ipv6 ,does it support switch  cisco 2960 IOS c2960-lanbasek9-mx,150-2,se4,bin or not.if it suports it ,can you send me the commands which suport it.

best regards

rasul

Hello Siavosh, I was also searching this feature but I have never seen that 2960 supports IPV6 DHCP Snooping.

FYI below is the complete Catalyst 2960 and 2960-S Software Configuration Guide, 12.2(55)SE with Configuring DHCP Features. In this IPV6 DHCP is not discussed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swdhcp82.html#wp1058243

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Aunudrei

When using Prime you can view the Alarm Summary on the bottom right of the screen. When this opens you can click through on the URL linked numbers to see the actual faults listed as Critical, Major and Minor.

Is it possible to run a report to get the list of faults that is shown, or some other way of getting this information off Prime so we can analyse it? At the moment, it looks like the only thing we can do is a PrtScn and print it out via Microsoft Paint.

If this information is unobtainable via report, can I suggest it would be useful if we could get it?

thank you

Bryn

Bryn,

This is a very good question and one I don't believe I have come across before so that's good. I would say that by default there are quite a few alerts that Prime will notify you on so that report potentially could be pretty large. I have seen in some instances people begin to filter and reclassify the alerts that really have meaning specific to their environment. If you are classifying the alerts that matter to you there are couple of options that you have available to you. You have the ability to send all alerts to a syslog server which would allow you to research them further, you can also send the alerts northbound to an SNMP host. In specific cases if there are critical issues you can set them up to send emails to the appropriate parties. From the the menu screen you have the ability to open the alerts tabs up in a new web window which will lists all of the events, however in that instance you would either have to save the web page. I will continue to check for other alternatives let me know if the ones provided help you meet your need? I will take that information also back to the Business Unit.

Thank you Aunudrei

I hadn't actually thought of investigating the alerts northbound, I will check this out, it could be what we are after.

regards

Bryn

PWJPW
Level 1
Level 1

Does Cisco Prime have any functionality around the Walled garden, we have an issue in setting this up with domain based walled garden and wondered if Prime would help with this

Gavin,

That subject would be a bit out of context for the the topic at hand. I did a little bit of research for you to get you possibly going in the right direction. Have a look at the link provided and see if that provides the answer your looking for.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps12587/ps12589/white_paper_c11-722527.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: