Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigning IP addresses via DHCP

mazmunk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi...

I have a Cisco Aironet 350 access point. I understand that the access point assigns IP addresses to mobile devices connected to it vis DHCP. How and where do I specify the IP ranges?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

stevecullen
Level 1
Level 1

The 350AP is not a DHCP server

But it is the one which assigns the IP addresses to the mobile devices right? Then how do I specify the range of IP addresses at which incoming mobile devices would get?

The AP is simply a bridge. Any DHCP-enabled clients associated to an AP will receive an IP address from a DHCP server servicing the wired subnet to which the AP's are attached (assuming one exists).

If you wish to assign a specific range of addresses to your wireless clients using your existing DHCP server you will need to create a VLAN for the wireless network, configure a helper address in the gateway router for that VLAN pointing to the DHCP server and create a DHCP scope on the DHCP server.

stevecullen
Level 1
Level 1

After a successful authentication the AP forwards the client's DHCP request to the wired LAN. You'll need a DHCP server there to handle the request.

Thanks for your reply once again...

I have tried using my DHCP server which is connected wiredly to my access point. My mobile handheld keeps prompting that it was unable to be assigned an IP address through DHCP. I do not know why this is so...is there something else that needs to be done?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: