Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autonomous AP, DHCP & DNS setting

Hi -

I would like the possibility to have two SSIDs, with clients on same subnet but different DNS, all received from a DHCP server running on a C1841.

Anyone have tips on how to receive that?

Eirik

11 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

You can't do that if the clients are on the same subnet.  DHCP is handed out and configured on a per subnet basis that has the DNS servers.  You need to separate the users into different subnet's and then you can have one dhcp scope point to a set of dns servers and the other dhcp scope pointed to the other dns servers.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Silver

Re: Autonomous AP, DHCP & DNS setting

You can achieve the result by creating two vlan binded with the two SSID and subnetting the DHCP scopes.

Interesting. Can you provide a config example on how to bind 2 vlans with a single SSID ? I didnt think this was possible ..

Scott what has been your experince. I know you configured a few thousand of these over the years ..

Thanks

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Hall of Fame Super Silver

George,

I have no clue that you can bind multiple vlan's on an autonomous AP. The OP asked if you can have TWO SSID'S that tie into one vlan and have users on that same subnet be able to have different DNS servers. Everyone knows if you have two separate subnets, then you can have one dhcp scope use one DNS server and the other subnet dhcp scope has another.

Maybe Leo knows!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Leo here ... Here's how I see things ...

The OP asked if you can have TWO SSID'S that tie into one vlan

In autonomous or CAPWAP, yes, this is possible.

have users on that same subnet be able to have different DNS servers.

Need clarifications on this.  You can create a DHCP pool that has two (or more) differerent DNS servers but you can't have users "choose" from either two different DNS servers.  "There's no mechanism for a system to go like, For today's special, client with MAC address will go to DNS 1.2.3.4.  Client with MAC address of 11:22:33:44:55:66 will go to DNS 9.8.7.6.  Tomorrow will be different."

I'd like to see how Kashif can do it.  Something new to learn.

Silver

We can achive this by load balancing DHCP and assiging different DNS (I hope its not difficult for few) definately you canot specific a host as its againt the working of DHCP server but even that can be achived but again due to more experience people few options never exits

Hall of Fame Super Gold

We can achive this by load balancing DHCP

LOL.  Epic fail.   No you don't. 

definately you canot specific a host as its againt the working of DHCP server but even that can be achived but again due to more experience people few options never exits

Doesn't make any sense. 

Silver

dont worry leo that last part was for some expert and he understood

Kashif,

You think of some crazy ways of doing things most unfounded in the real world. But that being said, I like you .. I like how you aren't afraid to post what you think ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Silver

thxs but i am learning from the seniors posts as well.

For the record .. You cant map 2 vlans to a single ssid in an autonmous ap. You can on a controller.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content