Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

bandwidth speed

Hello.

I was wondering if any one can tell me or point me in the right direction about the bandwidth speeds expected on an aironet 1130ag?  I was getting 8mbps up and down (testing with a laptop with an N card), then I restarted the WAP and it went to 13mbps up and 20 down.  There was noone else connected to the WAP and our internet speeds are 75mbps down and 15 up.  I've been testing this using the ookla bandwidth speed tester.  Thank you.

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

1130AG supports on 802.11a/b

1130AG supports on 802.11a/b/g.  It won't support 802.11n protocol.  

Your question is hard to determine.  Firstly, you don't know what nearby channel interference could be affecting your test regime.  Next, you need to determine what radio were you testing and/or what channel was the AP operating on.  Another thing to determine is how is the AP installed and what surface is the AP installed on.  What data rates are the AP configured for (what are the Mandatory Data Rates and Supported Data Rates enabled).

If you want a good test, disable 802.11b radio and test using 802.11a only.  Stand about 3 metres away from the AP.  Make 54 Mbps Data Rate as Mandatory (and disable the rest).  You also need to check the FastEthernet port statistics/counters of the AP for  Speed, Duplex, line errors.

One more important factor:  Make sure your wireless client/wireless NIC card has the most updated drivers installed.

Thank you Leo for your

Thank you Leo for your response.

> 1130AG supports on 802.11a/b/g. It won't support 802.11n protocol.

Understood.

> Your question is hard to determine. Firstly, you don't know what nearby channel interference could

>  be affecting your test regime.

How do I check that?

> Next, you need to determine what radio were you testing and/or

> what channel was the AP operating on. Another thing to determine is how is the AP installed and

> what surface is the AP installed on. What data rates are the AP configured for (what are the

> Mandatory Data Rates and Supported Data Rates enabled).

AP is on channel 3 and it is sitting on a rack mounted device in the server room.

> If you want a good test, disable 802.11b radio and test using 802.11a only. Stand about 3 metres

> away from the AP. Make 54 Mbps Data Rate as Mandatory (and disable the rest).

Done.  22mb/s down and 21mb/s up

> You also need to check the FastEthernet port statistics/counters of the AP for Speed, Duplex, line

> errors.

The fast ethernet shows 64 overrun errors, but no other errors. It shows maximum rate as 100mb/s full duplex.

> One more important factor: Make sure your wireless client/wireless NIC card has the most updated

> drivers installed.

Made sure of this.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

How do I check that?

How do I check that?

Turn off all your APs.  Get a laptop with 802.11a/b radio and start sniffing the location of nearby wireless.  Check their signals and how strong they are.  Take note of the channels being used. Turn on your AP and avoid the channels they are using.  

Done. 22mb/s down and 21mb/s up

What is the model of your test rig wireless card?

Wireless is a half-duplex medium.  Add 22 Mbps and 21 Mbps and you're going to get 43 Mbps.  The maximum rate of 802.11g is 54 Mbps and this is the sum of your upload speed and download speed.  

Thanks for the info on

Thanks for the info on checking interference Leo.  I was getting in the 21mb/s to 24mb/s in my tests as you recommended.  There are alot of other wireless networks in my general vacinity so there is definitely some interference.

My card is broadcom bcm943228hm4l 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Don't despair.  Just because

Don't despair.  Just because your neighbors have high wifi in the vicinity isn't the end of the world.  

Why do you think 802.11a is getting popular?  You get more non-conflicting channels with 802.11a and higher speed.  But 802.11a has poor penetrating power (through walls) and short range.  

Silver

With 22 Mbit/s you are very

With 22 Mbit/s you are very close to the maximum realistic speed that can be reached. As a rule of thumb, half the advertised speed to get the realistic number that you can send in one direction. So with a 300 Mbit/s 802.11n connection the absolute max you usually get is around 150 Mbit/s, or with your 54 Mbit/s one it's around 27 Mbit/s. That is with a clean "air" without any other transmissions on the same frequencies (plus the neighboring frequencies).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content