Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Employee

Before upgrading to Prime Infrastructure 1.4

Please  know that Prime Infrastructure 1.4 is intended only for those who will  be upgrading their wireless LAN controllers and MSEs to version 7.5. 

Prime Infrastructure 1.4 is not a maintenance or successor release to Prime Infrastructure 1.3, but rather a separate software train parallel with Prime Infrastructure 1.3. 

The next maintenance release for users of Prime  Infrastructure 1.3 will be Prime Infrastructure 2.0, currently targeted for Fall 2013.

The next maintenance release for users of Prime Infrastructure  1.4 will be Prime Infrastructure 2.1, currently targeted for Winter  2014.

There is no upgrade path from Prime Infrastructure 1.4 to Prime Infrastructure 2.0.

As with all Prime Infrastructure releases, there is no downgrade  from an inadvertant upgrade to Prime Infrastructure 1.4 back to Prime  Infrastructure 1.3.  Upgrade scripts know how to add new tables and  columns to Prime Infrastructure's database;  there are no "downgrade scripts" to undo those additions. 

The only recourse from an inadvertent upgrade to Prime  Infrastructure 1.4 is to redeploy Prime Infrastructure 1.3 from scratch  and restore from a Prime Infrastructure 1.3 backup.

Everyone's tags (2)
12 REPLIES

Re: Before upgrading to Prime Infrastructure 1.4

Hi Rollin,

I just want to be sure. Is it a typo with Winter 2014 or will it really take more than a year for the next update of Prime 1.4?

What about support for 5760 and 3850 NGWCs in PI 1.4?

We will soon run AireOS based WLCs and 5760 NGWCs in parallel and want to use one system, which can manage it all.

Is this covered?

Regards,

Patrick

Another question

will 7.5 be supported in Prime 2.0?

Regards,

Patrick

Hall of Fame Super Gold

We will soon run AireOS based WLCs and 5760 NGWCs in parallel and want to use one system, which can manage it all.

Is this covered?

I'll let you know tomorrow as I will be upgrading my WiSM2 with 7.5 and see if I can still manage to mange them with WCS 7.0.230.0. 

Hi Leo,

it's not the new mobility architecture I am concerned about. Rather the direct managability of NGWCs themeselves.

One management system for all WLCs, be it AireOS or IOS running the latest code.

The fact to split this up into separate trains does in my eyes indeed border on ludicrousness.

I am a little bit pissed that I now have to downgrade again to 7.4, which is buggy as hell when it comes to SSO in order for the NGWCs, which we will be running soon, to be supported in Prime.

Regards,

Patrick

Cisco Employee

Hi Leo:

Don't plan on that working.  The WLC with 7.5 is going to have SNMP objects for features and functionality that WCS 7.0 won't know exist or have any clue what to do with.  Sure, you'll have some basic manageability, but not for any of the new features that 7.5 is all about. 

Migrating WCS to NCS

Clarifying the upgrade path to Prime Infrastructure 1.3.0.20 Update 1

The topic Upgrading Cisco Prime Infrastructure in the Prime Infrastructure 1.4 release notes has all the details about upgrading Prime Infrastructure.

Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick:

January 2014 and February 2014 are considered Winter 2014. 

The authoritative guide to what's supported or not is in

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.4 Supported Devices

and it doesn't look like those platforms are supported yet. 

WLC/MNE 7.5 will be supported in Prime Infrastructure 2.0. 

Hi Rollin,

Regarding the NGWCs I was referring to the 2.x releases of Prime, which is the first version to support them as far as I know.

Regards,

Patrick

What is the process to get to

What is the process to get to 2.1 from 1.4 as you mention here?

>>The next maintenance release for users of Prime Infrastructure  1.4 will be Prime Infrastructure 2.1, currently targeted for Winter  2014.

Thanks

Bob

VIP Purple

Hi Robert,There is no upgrade

Hi Robert,

There is no upgrade path to PI2.1 from 1.4. (It was Cisco's original plan, but it did not materialize in that way, which disappointed lots of customers sad)

So currently we expect PI2.2 will be the code you can go from 1.4 . Again I do not keep high hopes as Cisco did not keep its promise with this.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses. Each time you rate a response Cisco will donate $1 to Kiva ****

Hi Rasika, Any update on this

Hi Rasika,

Any update on this topic. We are also stucked on this version 1.4?

thanks

VIP Purple

Hi,You can go to PI 2.2 from

Hi,

You can go to PI 2.2 from 1.4. It is not inline upgrade, so you have to build a new server & then restore backup from old server (1.4)

Refer below

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-2/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#pgfId-97386

Here is the upgrade steps that I followed (I went from 2.1 to 2.2)

http://mrncciew.com/2014/12/18/how-to-go-there-pi-2-2/

Note that couple of users discover some issues in new version, see whether if these are applicable to your setup 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12390246/issue-pi-22-after-upgrade

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

thanks a lot rasika. I found

thanks a lot rasika. I found extremely useful the post you sent with the issues other people is having on version 2.2 after restoring the backup on 1.4

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content