Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Best way to move client data from 2.4GHz to 5GHz network?

Wireless network was originally designed for data on b/g, voice on a.

Voice has not yet been implemented, and have decided to move data to a, and may use Vocera on b/g.  Should I create a new SSID which is enabled only on the a radios, and reconfigure all clients to use this (over 300 clients would need to be touched....but I would know which devices had been missed), OR should I enable the a radio on my existing SSID, allowing clients with an a radio to begin using it, which should help me determine which clients do not have a radios (although I'm not certain if clients will choose a over b/g).  I would eventually disable b/g on my existing SSID (legacy clients would either be upgraded or reconfigured).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: Best way to move client data from 2.4GHz to 5GHz network?

You really should use different SSIDs for voice and data.  That way you can configure QoS.

As far as moving the clients over you could either just configure the SSID to use only 802.11a or you could use bandselect.  With bandselect it will push the clients to 'a' but if the client can't support 'a' is will still allow it to join on 'b/g'.

3 REPLIES
Gold

You really should use different SSIDs for voice and data.  That way you can configure QoS.

As far as moving the clients over you could either just configure the SSID to use only 802.11a or you could use bandselect.  With bandselect it will push the clients to 'a' but if the client can't support 'a' is will still allow it to join on 'b/g'.

Thank you - I love the idea of band select, but my largest site is using 1242 APs.  My only concern with choosing a only is not knowing how many clients don't have a radios.....but I guess this is one way to find out!

If you have a WLC you can see how many clients are just 'b'. Look under clients

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content