Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bulk renaming APs in WCS

We are in the process of migrating a large number of APs from Autonomous to lightweight using WCS.  We would like to name them with the building number,etc Is there an easier way to rename them than individually?  e.g. scripting or import/export? the novelty is wearing off

Everyone's tags (1)
2 REPLIES

Re: Bulk renaming APs in WCS

SSH into your controller and do it through the CLI. That way, you can just generate a script using MS Word mail merge and the template below and paste it to your controller SSH session:

config

ap name

ap name

ap name

Re: Bulk renaming APs in WCS

Rob -

I too struggle with such iterations that WCS does not support well.  I have abandoned WCS in favor of my own custom process where a web interface connects to a MySQL database backend.  Our intern can add new customers, and upload CSV files that are generated from our site survey process containing AP name, channel, power, controller IPs, etc.  Then he just hooks them up to a switch and runs through 24 APs at a time and the output is logged to a database as well as a text file.  Then the APs can be scanned by serial number and a label containing its name is spit out of a label printer and applied to the front of the AP.  Box them back up and ship to the site for installation!   I use PHP for the interface and Perl for all of the scripting.  Elliott has the right idea for what you want to do.

Regards,
Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content