cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I disable SSID broadcasts on 1130AG and still connect

philfortune
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am currently trying to secure wireless network connectivity by removing SSID broadcasting but retaining 128 WEP keys & MAC address authentication. I am unable to get laptops to connect successfully after setting up 'automatic connection' on a maually configured wireless network connection. Can laptops connect when broadcasting has been disabled ?

Thanks, Phil

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It should work. Once you specify the SSID on the client (and, optionally, a preferred AP), it should hook right up.

Windows "Wireless Zero Config" does have an affinity for SSIDs that it can see ... so if there are other APs visible that are broadcasting an SSID, a Windows client using WZC will usually hit that AP.

BTW: WEP, MAC filtering, and even SSID broadcast suppression is not very good security. Any wireless probe (check out Netstumbler - www.netstumbler.com - it's free) will still detect it.

MAC spoofing is fairly trivial, and WEP is pretty easily broken. It may take some time (hours-days, depending on the level of traffic), but it's basically an automated process ... no real time investment on the part of someone trying to get into your network.

If possible, you should consider (at the least) implementing TKIP, or better yet (and preferred) WPA (WPA2 if the clients support it).

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card