cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I tell a client to prefer a specific AP?

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

I have a training room with 4 PC's and right outside of this training room is a 3500i series LAP.  Only two of the PC's are associating to it, and the other two are associating to an AP 2 floors up which much slower data rates.

I am wondering if I can fix the AP in the Wireless Lan Controller that these clients connect to, or make them preferred without having to touch the client itself and its Windows driver.  All 4 PCs are identical running the same image.  They are using Dell Wireless cards that are built into Dell Optiplex 3011 All in One PCs.

21 Replies 21

Don't use th "-" just put in 11

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Like this:

2-25-2014 8-15-03 AM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Ok early today I made this change on both the 802.11a/n and the 802.11b/g/n sides.  Also I disabled data rates less than 11mbps on the 802.11b/g/n side.  I already had data rates less than 24mbps disabled on the a/n side.

We'll see if this helps coverage a bit.  Client load balancing has been turned off for quite some time.

Controller has been up for 394 days so its due for a software upgrade at some point.  I will try to schedule time in the near future to upgrade FPGA 1.7 to 1.9 and upgrade 7.4.100.0 to a newer version like 7.6.100. 

One last question, how can I copy the current software image 7.4.100 to the field recovery image version (which currently says 6.0.182.0)?  Is that even possible?

The field recovery image is directly related to the FUS image.

The change in the max and min should help . Just note the suggested code version and the FUS image is also required

Keep us posted.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Ok great.  I have three different flavors downloaded so I will browse the release notes and try to decide on which route to go.

I Have downloaded 7.4.121, 7.6.100 and 7.6.101.7 and the 1.9 FUS image if I go the 7.6.x route.

Cool... just keep us posted.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

v7.6.101.7 is a TAC release and you may not want to be on a TAC release. If you want to know about features, look at the v7.6 release notes. v7.4.121.0 is the preferred code and only use v7.6 if you need features

Keith,

The general consensus is to stay with 7.4.121.X.  If you need features found ONLY in 7.6.X then go with 7.6.101.7.

You will need to contact TAC to get access to 7.6.101.7.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card