cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use ASA to setup vpn tunnels for wireless clients?

paulnigel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Forum,

We will be getting cisco WCS,WLC and APs. however, the clients are normal windows wireless clients.

Can I use my ASA5500 to provide security for my wireless client, by setting ipsec tunnels for wireless clients?

Thanks,

py

2 Replies 2

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

in short, yes.

your AP will be connected to the wired network at some point, as is your ASA.

this being the case, you can use your ASA to provide ipsec tunnels for your clients, either wired or wireless.

your topology should look something like the following for it to work:

wireless PC >> AP >> wiredNetwork >> ASA >> internet/outsideNetwork

if your topology is similar to the above, then you can use your ASA to provide ipsec tunnels for your wireless PCs to an outside network/internet.

(your AP should support ipsec if it is to be part of the tunnel; this is pretty much standard nowadays)

Thanks Gpulos,

I placed all my wireless clients inside the same vlan. When you are referring to outside network, can I say another Vlan?

My intention is to protect WEP clients or any wireless clients, so any traffic from the wireless vlan will be ipsec protected, going to the internet/ other vlans will be clear.

I am using cisco 3600 switch as internal vlan routers.

Any documents that you can recommend?

Thanks much,

py

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: