Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can't configure OfficeExtend

I just bought an Aironet 600 OfficeExtend AP and hooked it up to my WLC 5500 but I can't configure it.

I've got 10 AP running just fine but the Aironet 600 shows operational status as "UP" (normal is "REG") and "Admin status", "AP Mode" and "AP Sub Mode" are all grayed out.

I installed the newest firmware on the WLC (ver 7.2.110.0) and it has upgraded the Aironet 600 as well.

I've read to through the installation manuals and from everything I can see I should be able to configure the Aironet 600 as soon as it contact WLC,

So what am I missing?

Everyone's tags (4)
4 REPLIES

Re: Can't configure OfficeExtend

The guide says:

"""snip"""

•The access point is not broadcasting the enterprise WLAN.

Resolution: Ask the teleworker to check the cables, power supply, and LED status. If you still cannot identify the problem, ask the teleworker to try the following:

–Connect to the home router directly and see if the PC is able to connect to an Internet website such as http://www.cisco.com/. If the PC cannot connect to the Internet, check the router or modem. If the PC can connect to the Internet, check the home router configuration to see if a firewall or MAC-based filter is enabled that is blocking the access point from reaching the Internet.

–Log into the home router and check to see if the access point has obtained an IP address. If it has, the access point's LED normally blinks orange.

"""snip"""

If you have the ap joined already then make sure:

The ap radios are enabled.

If the aps part of an ap group make se the group breasts the SSIDs.

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Bronze

Amjad,

I don't think you clearly understood the question asked. According to Benediktsv, the OEAP is connected to the controller and is UP. I too have an OEAP and the admin status and sub mode were greyed out as soon it joined the controller. That is not to say the OEAP is not functioning.

The crazy thing about OEAP is that Cisco expects you to disable Aironet IE, Coverage hole detection, and Hreap on the WLAN. However, they forgot that the function of OEAP is to extend the corporate wireless LAN to the home or remote location. So to disable the above is to create a separate SSID for OEAP, which doesn't make sense.

Hi benediktsv,

Let me guess..  the other 10 ap's are not 602's.  Welcome to the dedicated OEAP602i.

They report UP and Local, because they can't do anything else.

The enterprise class AP's in OEAP mode report REG/HREAP or the new PC term Flex-Connect.

I have 3 1131's and 13 602's online.  Mostly with RLANs..

The 1131's are in a common AP group because they support 16 SSID's

The 602's are in may tiny AP groups because they only support 2 SSID's and get a bit persinckity when the system trys to stuff them with more.  Yes there is a third but it is dedicated the the users private ssid if wanted.

Also, the 602 can't find mother (Cisco CAPWAP controller) by itself.  It must be pre configured with mothers public target IP because it does not do a DNS search and no option 40 in DHCP.

Osita,

Since the OEAP controller most always is dedicated to the function, it is a simple matter to disable the standard features when cloneing the Wlans on the OEAP wlc.

David

To other whit the same "problem" and did not read the entire Configure pdf.

OEAP in Local Mode

The 600 Series OfficeExtend Access Point connects to the controller in local mode. You cannot alter these settings.

Configuring OfficeExtend Access Points

OEAP 600 Series Access PointsMonitor mode, flexconnect mode, sniffer mode, rogue detector, bridge, andSE-Connect are not supported on the 600 Series OfficeExtend Access Point and are not configurable.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content