Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can't move AIR-CAP1602I-A-K9 APs to 2nd controller?!

Hi everyone,

We have two 5500 wireless controllers that we use for ~80 APs.  We just installed the new system a month or so ago.  When all the APs were replaced, they updated from the new controller and all joined the first controller.  I cannot get any of them (except 1) to join the 2nd controller.  I even set the primary controller to be the 2nd one on a few of the APs, reset them, and they still do not join it. 

The only one that does join it is on VLAN 6 (wireless vlan) and all the rest are on VLAN 5.  I do not have a DHCP option set but from what I have been reading I was under the impression that I did not need to have one set with this model of AP. 

I am fairly new to wireless so please forgive me but I do not know what information I need to provide you guys with to help me. If you are able to help, just let me know what I need to get for you and I can do that.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:  This is showing up on the 2nd controller for one of the APs I tried to force onto it.

"Layer 3 discovery request not received on management VLAN"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Can't move AIR-CAP1602I-A-K9 APs to 2nd controller?!

You should have two entries that show UP, you only have one and if you do a show interface detailed management, you will see that that mac address is itself.  You need to add an entry for the other WLC.  This is how it should look.

Example:

Controllers configured in the Mobility Group

MAC Address        IP Address       Group Name                        Multicast IP     Status

00:1e:4a:ff:1b:20  *.*35.248    dummy                             0.0.0.0          Control and Data Path Down

7c:ad:74:8d:37:e0  *.*.71.248    dummy                             0.0.0.0          Up

7c:ad:74:8d:73:00  *.*.71.246    dummy                             0.0.0.0          Up

MAC Address        IP Address       Group Name                        Multicast IP     Status

00:1e:4a:ff:25:e0  *.*.35.246    dummy                             0.0.0.0          Control and Data Path Down

7c:ad:74:8d:73:00  *.*.71.246    dummy                             0.0.0.0          Up

7c:ad:74:8d:37:e0  *.*.71.248    dummy                             0.0.0.0          Up

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
32 REPLIES
Bronze

are you putting ap in a dynamic interface vlan?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I believe they are connecting to a Dynamic Interface VLAN.

that is not a good idea.  The AP should be on their own VLAN, and it should not exist as a dynamic interface on the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

So you have two WLC's and they are on the same subnet correct?  Do you have mobility setup between the two wlc's and are they using the same mobility group name?  This is important if you want the AP's to know about the othe WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

This is really a reply to both of you, and thanks for your help.  I do not know if mobility is set up between the two, and I am not sure how to check.  When we upgraded the wireless controllers, we copied the config from the old ones to the other.

They are on the same subnet.

I was part of the upgrade to the new controllers, but I kind of followed along and didn't really do any of the setup.  The network is now in my hands, though.

You can't just copy those... as it has the managment mac address tied to an ip address.  Look at these docs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_qanda_item09186a00809a30cc.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.3/configuration/guide/b_wlc-cg_chapter_01111.html#ID143

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Couple more links:

http://ccie-or-null.net/2011/02/16/cisco-wlc-mobility-groups/

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

We went through and changed those to the new ip range and everything.  They work fine right now but the access points won't split between the two controllers.

Edit:  I know we never did anything with mobility groups, but each controller has the other controller in the mobility group.  It shows up when I run the sh mobility summary command.

You need to manually adding the primary and secondary. As long as the mobility is up between the two wlc's you should have no issues. They will not split up automatically. You need to go in the AP and under the high availability set the primary and secondary WLC information. It is case sensitive also.

-Scott

I have already done this, and they do not go to the 2nd controller.

Post your show mobility summary from both wlc's.

-Scott

Here is a link to a doc specific to setting and verifying ap failover. Ap fallback also needs to be enabled. Not knowing what you have configured makes it hard to troubleshoot.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

-Scott

Controller 1          

Mobility Architecture ........................... Flat

Mobility Protocol Port........................... 16666

Default Mobility Domain.......................... dummy

Multicast Mode .................................. Disabled

Mobility Domain ID for 802.11r................... 0x7ae9

Mobility Keepalive Interval...................... 10

Mobility Keepalive Count......................... 3

Mobility Group Members Configured................ 2

Mobility Control Message DSCP Value.............. 0

00:1e:4a:ff:1b:20  *.*35.248    dummy                             0.0.0.0          Control and Data Path Down

---------------------------------------------

Controller 2

Mobility Architecture ........................... Flat

Mobility Protocol Port........................... 16666

Default Mobility Domain.......................... dummy

Multicast Mode .................................. Disabled

Mobility Domain ID for 802.11r................... 0x7ae9

Mobility Keepalive Interval...................... 10

Mobility Keepalive Count......................... 3

Mobility Group Members Configured................ 2

Mobility Control Message DSCP Value.............. 0

00:1e:4a:ff:25:e0  *.*.35.246    dummy                             0.0.0.0          Control and Data Path Down

Edit: AP Failover is enabled.

So you can see here, that your mobility is not up:

Control and Data Path Down

So you need to fix this and your mac address, don't match?  The mac address of the top WLC is 7c:ad:74:8d:37:e0 and the bottom one is 7c:ad:74:8d:73:00, so both of these need to be in the mobility group configuration.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Those are the old ones from the old controller, the new ones are up and say they are up on the 2nd line.

The ------------------------------ Line separates the controllers, controller 1 on top and controller 2 on bottom.

You should have only two entries.... one for each wlc.  So each wlc has to be entered in the other mobility group.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

They are... they just have the old mobility group in there from the old controllers.  But the new ones are still there and they say they are up and working..

Could you post it?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I posted it a few posts ago.  I went ahead and bolded the important information.

You should have two entries that show UP, you only have one and if you do a show interface detailed management, you will see that that mac address is itself.  You need to add an entry for the other WLC.  This is how it should look.

Example:

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

That makes more sense.  How come there is one AP that is able to get on controller 2 then?  Any ideas?  I will add this when I am at work tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

That is because it joined that WLC... now try to move it to the other WLC and you will run into the same issue... it will not move.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

This is what you need to do from the CLI:

config mobility group member add

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I did that and it lists them as

Control and Data Path Down

How do I get them to come up?

Are they on the same subnet, if not, make sure you have no acl firewall that so blocking the traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mobil.html

-Scott

They are in the same subnet.

If they are in the same subnet and you have issues, then delete the entries and add them back. In each WLC if you are doing this from the GUI, the top entry is the entry for the WLC you are in, so you copy that and add that to the other WLC and vice versa. Sometimes it works when you remove everything and add it back.

-Scott

Also, you should be able to mping and eping from one WLC to another from the CLI. This is different from a regular ping. Make sure though you can ping the other WLC. If not, them you need to troubleshoot that.

-Scott

Removed all but the self entries, copied and pasted and still down.

Edit: I am able to ping the other entry with the little drop down box in the GUI

Edit 2:  They are up now.  Should I be good to go?

Views
Helpful
Replies