Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't put two 5508 WLCs in the same RF group

Hi experts,

I have two 5508 WLCs and I want them to be backup to each other. I put in the same "RF Group Name" and even the same "Default Mobility Domain Name" however under Wireless -> 802.11b/g/n -> RRM -> RF Grouping each controller still only have themselves as the only memter to the group.

RF Group 1.jpg

Two controllers are having management IPs on the same subnet 192.168.161.x/24. AP-manager interfaces are in the same network as well. They can ping each other fine. The following screen shots show the current relavent config on the controller:

Controller settings.jpg

I do have two controllers in the same mobility group and they are both showing up...

Mobility group.jpg

Does anyone know why they can't add each other to the RF group? All other settings are pretty much default...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Can't put two 5508 WLCs in the same RF group

Hi,

is there a chance that one of the 2 WLC doesn't contain any access point ? Or that the APs from one WLC are not physically close to the APs of the second WLC ?

The point of RF grouping is to exchange RF information, to make RRM decisions together and to know what ap is a rogue and which is not. RF group information travels over the air from AP to AP.

So if a wlc has no ap of if its APs are not close to those of the other WLC there is both no point in grouping with the other WLC in rf group and also no technical way of doing so.

Regards,

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi,

is there a chance that one of the 2 WLC doesn't contain any access point ? Or that the APs from one WLC are not physically close to the APs of the second WLC ?

The point of RF grouping is to exchange RF information, to make RRM decisions together and to know what ap is a rogue and which is not. RF group information travels over the air from AP to AP.

So if a wlc has no ap of if its APs are not close to those of the other WLC there is both no point in grouping with the other WLC in rf group and also no technical way of doing so.

Regards,

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

That's exactly the cause!! Thanks a lot!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content