cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot upgrade Aironet AP1231G

ubergeek1
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upgrade the IOS of my Aironet AP1231G. It is currently running IOS version 12.2(3)JA ED. I have tried numerous upgrades of assorted versions under the Aironet 1200 and 1230 categories but they do not work. I receive the error "ERROR. The software upgrade was interrupted and was not able to be completed". I have tried via tftp, http and via command line. Anyone know what the issue is? Any help would be great. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Give it an ip address in the same subnet that the AP is in and place the connection in the same vlan as the AP

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

what is the network setup between the AP and the computer hosting the upgrade image?

They are two completely different subnets, that is about it. When I use tftp from the command line it is timing out stating that it failed to open archive.

it sounds like either the tftp server is not listening, there is an acl blocking tftp traffic, or the path and/or file name for the image is incorrect.

I can't even upgrade via http! What version should I upgrade to? I am at 12.2(13) JA ED. Should I connect to it via a console cable and use tftp that way?

Ok, it sounds like there is a network issue between the AP and the box that the upgrade image is on. At this point, it does not matter which method you use, as you need to figure out where the network infrastructure problem is.

Does the ap have a default gateway for the mgmt subnet it is on?

is there a firewall or acls between the ap and the box with the image on it?

can you ping the tftp server from the AP?

Thanks for your help. There is only a switch in between the two and I can ping from the AP. No firewalls are between the two devices. The AP is in its own vlan though.

Ok, if I understand you correctly, you can ping the tftp server from the AP or from your workstation? Is there routing between vlans? if not, the tftp server needs to be in the same vlan.

Yes that is correct. How do I add the tftp server to the vlan?

Give it an ip address in the same subnet that the AP is in and place the connection in the same vlan as the AP

That did the job! Thanks for the help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: