cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Captive Portal with Wireless Mobility

mattgioia
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone successfully configured a captive portal/proxy while maintaining their WDS infrastructure?

We're wanting to make users accept a user agreement before being able to progress to the outside world. We're currently using m0n0wall to accomplish this on our wired network, but with the interesting way that the wireless traffic actually enters the network through the tunnel/loopback int its creating some confusion for me.

Can it be as simple as changing the tunnel source to a VLAN instead of a loopback? Anyone have any insight?

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

The Captive Portal is used to control what happens when an application request, layers 5-7, is redirected to Layer 3-4 (i.e. when the destination IP address or port number of a request from an application is changed, and the application layers in the protocol request still have the previous IP address or domain and port number encode in them). This is analogous to the Network Address Translation (NAT) function performed by a router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk721/technologies_white_paper09186a00801a0c62.shtml

I'm aware of what its doing and how it works, but getting it to work successfully with layer 3 mobility is a challenge since you cannot really put any wired devices on the same network as the wireless devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card