Assumed that we have a wireless network infrastructure for a building that contains 4 floors and each floor has two different VLAN with one cabinet (switch support PoE). In addition the data center was built by a different building and connected by fiber Multi-mode for each switch in each floor.
Now the customer needs to install two access point in each floor and each access point will be configured by existing VLAN.
The questions are:
1- What is the recommended solution (to connect each access point by existing VLAN or to create a new VLAN for all access points in the building?
2- Can we put only one controller in the data center or install in each floor one controller?
3- If a mobile user will move from 4th floor to ground floor how will be connected to his VALN?
4- When can we propose WCS?
5- What about the mobiles that support Wi-Fi Certified, that need to configure their mobiles for their extensions to save the cost?
I'm assuming by your reference to WCS in question #4 that you are using an LWAPP architecture. My questions below are only going to make sense if this assumption is true ; )
1. Are you referring to the WAP VLANs or the VLANs users will use for access? Note that these are totally different. The WAP VLAN is the VLAN the WAP uses to obtain an IP address. The user VLAN is the VLAN that gets transported in the LWAPP tunnel. The access VLAN doesn't have to exist in the access layer as it gets tunneled to your controller.
2. How many WAPs total in the campus and what uptime are you looking for from the WiFi network?
3. The access VLAN is tunneled from the WAP to the controller within the LWAPP tunnel. The access VLANs are end-to-end VLANs, so when a user moves from floor to floor, they remain in the same VLAN so their is no need for an IP change. There is a way to adjust this behavior if you don't want it, but it is what 99.9999% of the people want.
4. I'm not quite sure what your asking on this one.
5. The answer to this depends on the devices you plan to support and the profile of the environment. How many SSIDs do you plan on having, and what security frameworks are going to be used by each?
Thank you for your response and regarding the WCS just to know that, Is it mandatory to use it in LWAP infrastructure or no? This is the goal for my 4th question.
For the second question, we have a building that contains 4 floors and each floor has two access points. So, 2x4=8 WAP. And the purpose to deploy the wireless network is to have mobile network for limited number of users in each floor.
In the third question, this is what I need to reach because I have attended AURBA seminar and mentioned in their session that this technology (no switching between VLANs if the mobile users are leavening from own area to another) and the speaker confirmed that this is only done by AURBA!!!!!
In the fifth question, the devices are Nokia and looking to make 8 SSID as same as number of WAP, captive portal will apply in this scenario? What do you suggest?
In the first question, I need more explanations in order to get a clear figure?
During read your response one question was generated about the deployment for MESH TECHNOLOGY and using the wireless IP phone? What about the quality in this case? please provide me the documented papers if you have.
Thanking for your positive feedback, really, I appreciated.
There are too many questions flying around? let?s take this in a different direction.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I understand that you have 8 WAPs, 2 per floor, and 8 SSIDs and you want to support some type of Nokia device on the network. In order to help you out, I need a better understanding of what you?re trying to accomplish. After I have this understanding I can more easily answer your questions.
Please humor me by answering the following:
1. Is this a voice only, data only, or data & voice network?
2. What uptime SLA are you providing on this network? Does it really matter if this network is down 24 hours? 4 hours? Remember that higher availability costs more money.
3. What type of environment is this? Hospital? Corporate? Hospitality etc.?
4. How is this network going to be used? Please keep it general, no need to get caught up in the technical minutia on this one.
This document may help you get a better grounding on the technical nitty gritty of LWAPP.
Transferring Crash file from standby:
Login to the Active WLC in HA.
(Cisco Controller) >transfer upload datatype crash
(Cisco Controller) >transfer upload filename <Desired filename>
(Cisco Controller) >transfer up...
This is the start of a display filter cross reference between Wireshark and OmniPeek.
The 1st installment is a table of advanced filters. More filters will be added as time allows.
It is a living doc, so check back for changes every so often
Please feel ...
I have created a Powershell script to automatically add a Wireless Guest User on Cisco WLCs. (tested on 2500 Series)
The script should be completely self explanatory.
Powershell SNMP Module (Install-Module -Name SNMP)
SNMP Write Access to...