cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCKM, WPA, fast roaming issues

loobitize
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4404 LAN controller with 1131a/g light AP's. Clients are Cisco a/b/g cards using WPA2, PEAP MSCHAPv2 and the Odyssey supplicant.

Sometimes my clients roam between access points without losing a single packet, but other times they lose connectivity for up to 15 seconds while the client reauthenticates. Obviously, I would like to improve roaming time.

On the WLAN controller I have WPA2 configured with AES and "auth key managment" set to 802.1x. I just upgraded to the latest (4.0) code on the controller and noticed there is a new "auth key management" setting called 802.1x + cckm.

After much research on cckm tonight, I seem to have more questions than answers.

Can/should cckm be used WITH WPA2?

If not, can both WPA2 and cckm be supported on the same WLAN?

Which auth key management setting should I be using, 802.1x or 802.1x + cckm?

Does cckm require support of both supplicant and NIC?

Is there anything else I can do to make roaming more seamless?

2 Replies 2

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

For CCKM to support AES, AP needs to run 12.3(8)JA. A CB21AG client configured for WPA/WPA2/CCKM/EAP is unable to associate on an SSID that is configured for AES+CCKM. Configure the SSID for WPA2/AES but not for CCKM.

Is it possible to use

WPA1 + TKIP + Auth Key Mgmt="CCKM"

or

WPA1 + TKIP + Auth Key Mgmt="802.1x + CCKM"

My WLC have Software Version 4.0.179.8.

With this configuration I will need client card CCX v4 ??

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card