Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Changing the time on a lwapp AP?

Good day, quick and hopefully easy question here.

I have a 5508 WLC and a series of 1140 APs. One small but annoying thing I have noticed is that the APs are pulling the correct time from the WLC but the timezone is off so they are showing time at 0 and not -8. The timezone is set and correct on the WLC. Any ideas?

9 REPLIES

Re: Changing the time on a lwapp AP?

You are correct. This happens on APs and can not be corrected unfortunately.

In autonomous APs the same problem happens and logs of an AP shows correct time but without time zone difference.

With autonomous you can add a command that can fix this. In unified APs you can't AFAIK.

I forgot the exact command on autonomous but it was something with services.

In unified APs config mode is locked and can be unlocked with (debug capwap console cli) command, so you can enter the other command to fix the clock.

However, this - if worked - does not survive reboot. Besides you will need to add it to every Single AP.

I hope there will be some other fix. For this that I am not aware about

Good luck.

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Are you looking at logs?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Yeah, I looked at the logs and they show the correct time. It isn't a big deal as it only is reflected when I am either consoled into the AP or I do a sh clock command. I was hoping there was a fix.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

CAPWAP logs will always show their timezones as UTC/GMT.

Only the controllers will show time based on what they are configured for.  It's to do with the CAPWAP protocol.

Hi

I am not sure if capwap has to do anything with this. I skimmed capwap rfc quickly but nothing mentioned about APs time to be on UTC/GMT all the time.

I think it is more like vendor implementation behavior.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Create a TAC case back in 2009 based on this and this is what the TAC engineer told me.  Whether or not he knew what he was talking about ...

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Some gave you a +1????

Hi Leolaohoo,

it seems yes some gave me +1 s/he may not found my answer useful.
Anyway, CAPWAP has nothing to mention about time zone on AP as I went through the RFC quickly but nothing mentioned.

TAC engineer is just a user like us with more advanced experience and more resources to touch. But s/he does not know about code and implementation or products from inside. RFC is the judge here because any vendor is going to implement CAPWAP will refer to it. It shows nothing about time-zone on APs.

I remember TAC case a year ago about almost same thing that autonomous APs were showing logs in UTC although SNTP is showing the clock with correct time (correct time-zone shift).

As I mentioned before, there was a command that should be used to define the timezone for the logs to be shifted from UTC/GMT.
I have the PST file for that time saved in some external HD or else I would have searched for the commands if I am still having the PST file internally. Maybe later I do it when I have the time and bring the commands.

Cheers,

Amjad

Hall of Fame Super Gold

As I mentioned before, there was a command that should be used to define the timezone for the logs to be shifted from UTC/GMT.

Yes you can but you CANNOT save this setting on the WAP.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content