Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Cisco 881-W DHCP Conflict with Internal AP

Just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing a DHCP conflict on 881-W with the internal AP, and if anyone knows of a solution short of creating static reservations.

I have (12) 881-W chassis in the field.  They are running DHCP services to the wired users as well as to the internal AP for reachability / management / etc.  The scope for the internal AP is a /30 so only one address is in the scope and it is intended for the internal AP. This serves a a point to point link between the internal AP and the internal Router inside the 881-W chassis.       

Somehow the 881-W DHCP server is getting out of synch and a conflict is occurring.  It seems at some point, either at boot-up or lease expiration/renewal,  the DHCP server is performing a ping to verify that the address is not in use.  The AP has this address assigned prior and replies to the ping causing a conflict.  I noticed an AP down today, checked the 881-W uptime and the conflict correlates to the same time.   I have to manually clear the conflict and everything works as it should.

The existing 12 881-w's could grow to 100's over time, so the manual intervention of clearing the conflict is not going to scale.  Anyone have any ideas?  I really want to stay away from static reservations.         

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Cisco 881-W DHCP Conflict with Internal AP

Well I would use a static on the AP, but if you depending on IOS dhcp to be reliable, then maybe you need to setup a Mac reservation for the AP. It would be after to just set a static on the AP. Since you know your environment will grow, it might be better that you start setting them to static. IOS dhcp isn't 100% reliable as you have already experienced.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content