Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco bridge root nonroot setup

chakravorty
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just want to check that when setting up two 1310G bridges in root and nonroot mode that the root bridge does not need the nonroot units MAC address entered in anywhere.

The reason I ask is I recently replaced one but the replacement did not work. The config is sound and from my testing the unit appears to be OK, just wanted to rule any kind of association issue out.

Thanks,

Kieran

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Kieran,

NO they do not need to know about the MAC addresses - generally, but they do need to know what SSID/WLAN to associate to = infrastructure WLAN. If you have more than one, the non-root cannot assocciate, as it does not know which one to use?

HTH.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Kieran,

NO they do not need to know about the MAC addresses - generally, but they do need to know what SSID/WLAN to associate to = infrastructure WLAN. If you have more than one, the non-root cannot assocciate, as it does not know which one to use?

HTH.

There is only one root bridge to associate to. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, i'll give it another shot and if it does not work at least it's been ruled out.

Thanks, Kieran

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card