Helpful
Replies

cisco WLC managed by two different PI

Mohamed Sayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have cisco WLC (WISM2), it is managed and added to Cisco PI2.0 

I need to setup another PI1.4 and add the same WLC on this PI1.4 with MSE and keep PI2.0 work in the same controller and on the same time 

any problem regarding that ?

Please advice, Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only issues you have is that the PI databases do not synch, and there could be feature disparity due to what each version of PI supports.

So if you make a change via 2.0, it won't be reflected in 1.4

Honestly, I wouldn't do this as 'production'. I might do it as a test server to see how one works over the other.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

you mean the only issue that will face me that any change done by PI2.0 not reflect in PI1.4 and vise versus(databases not sync). but there is any confilict will be occured ?

thanks in advance 

I don't get it.  Why would you want your controllers managed by two different (physical and OS-wise) PI?

Why can't you just make sure the 2nd is upgraded and enable HA.  That way you have two physical units acting as one and REDUNDANT.

the first one is life and already used by the administrators

and I need to install other one which will be other version  to prove a concept.

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

It is not suggested. For PoC, you should not use production environment!!

Mohamed Sayed
Level 1
Level 1

yes so I will install the other one for this POC

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Guidelines and Limitations for HA

Before initiating failover, you must consider the following prerequisites and limitations:

• You must have the hardware identical to the primary Prime Infrastructure to run a standby instance of Prime Infrastructure.
  • Prime Infrastructure supports HA on both the physical and virtual appliance deployment models.
  • A reliable high-speed wired network must exist between the primary Prime Infrastructure and its backup Prime Infrastructure.
  • The primary and secondary Prime Infrastructure must be running the same Prime Infrastructure software release.
  • The OVA file size in both primary and secondary Prime Infrastructure must be the same.
  • Both primary and secondary Prime Infrastructure must be reachable on both sides.
  • The health monitor process for the secondary Prime Infrastructure must be running during the HA registration.
  • High reliable network must exist between the primary and secondary Prime Infrastructure.
  • For primary Prime Infrastructure to initiate HA with a secondary Prime Infrastructure, the secondary Prime Infrastructure services must be running and reachable from the primary Prime Infrastructure. You must boot the secondary Prime Infrastructure first, and then boot the primary Prime Infrastructure to initiate HA registration.
  • Failover should be considered temporary. The failed primary Prime Infrastructure should be restored to normal as soon as possible, and failback is initiated. The longer it takes to restore the failed primary Prime Infrastructure, the longer Prime Infrastructure runs without HA support.
  • The latest controller software must be used.
  • The primary and secondary host are not required to share the same subnet. They can be geographically separated.
  • The ports over which the primary and secondary Prime Infrastructure communicate must be open (not blocked by firewalls, application fireways, gateways, and so on). The Tomcat port is configurable during installation. Reserve 1522 for solid database port.
  • Any access control lists imposed between the primary and secondary Prime Infrastructure must allow traffic to go between the primary and secondary Prime Infrastructure.
  • The primary Prime Infrastructure must have a sufficient number of licenses for the devices. When failover occurs, the secondary Prime Infrastructure uses the licenses of the primary Prime Infrastructure for the devices.
  • A secondary Prime Infrastructure can only support one primary Prime Infrastructure.
  • When HA is enabled for the first time, synchronizing the servers takes a considerable amount of time. The time it would take would be in the order of 30 minutes or more depending on the size of the database.
  • During the HA registration, ensure that the bandwidth between the primary Prime Infrastructure and the secondary Prime Infrastructure is 1Gbps. If the bandwidth is too low, HA registration and failover will fail.
  • Ensure that you remove HA from the Prime Infrastructure server before you being an upgrade to a newer version of Prime Infrastructure.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card