Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Client hanging onto distant AP too long

I have a lightweight wireless system with 4 WISM-2s. When I move across campus, I seem to hang onto APs that are geographically too far away, so my connection suffers. This really seems to be happening with one SSID way more than others. On this particular SSID I have the session timeout set to 7200 seconds, whereas my others are set to 1800 sec. Should I lower the session timeout? Or is there another way for me to force clients to search for better APs more frequently? Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

It is the wireless client which decides which AP to join. 

1.  Update your wireless NIC drivers;

2.  Disable agressive roaming

Re: Client hanging onto distant AP too long

Is this something that is happening on all clients? Or on one particular device/model? Like Leo mentions it sounds a bit like a sticky client deal and updating those drivers could help that. Are there any other settings on that SSID that are not setup on others like the session timeout that you mentioned? Have you tried to disable client session timeout just to test with to see if that changes anything?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

So far, this testing has been done with some Android phones. Not many though. I have enables client session timeout. In fact, it used to be set to 7200sec. I lowered it to 1800sec (which is the same as all my other SSIDs are set to). I haven't tested much since making the change though. I'll continue to test this week. Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies