cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients losing IP addresses

ericwoodin
Level 1
Level 1

We have numerous clients losing their IP address and defaulting to a 169.x.x.x address. On the WCS, we are seeing tons of errors Client '(MAC address) (0.0.0.0)' has failed authenticating with interface '802.11b/g/n' of AP '(AP Name)'. The reason code is '1(Unspecified)'.

What exactly is reason code 1 and how do I correct my users losing IP addresses.

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

Do the client(s) Authenticate their login credentials?

On the client it shows associated and authenticated with a 169.x.x.x address (we use a 10.x.x.x network), but on the controller it shows the client is associated but not authenticated

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

Do the client(s) Authenticate their login credentials?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you go to the WLC, go to Clients and look at under "Auth" is it "Yes" or "No"?

The client will say "yes" on the "Auth" then it will loose the correct IP of 10.x.x.x and change to "no" then go to the generic IP of 169.x.x.x

Do you know anywhere I can find out what the message "The reason code is '1(Unspecified)'." is?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

How far are they from the nearest AP or what is the RSSI from the AP to the client and from the client to the AP?

What is the NIC of the client?

How many people are affected?

Are the people affected associating to the same AP?

One of the NICs is a D-Link with an RSSI of -54. It seems to be affecting hundreds of our clients mostly Hospira pumps and laptops on different SSIDs. It is on most of our APs in various areas and on different controllers. I've attached a client debug.

I forgot to attach the debug.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

Sounds like Wrong Client Cipher Configuration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a008091b08b.shtml#w1

Hope this helps.

Would this explain why clients are dropping IP addresses?

I ran another debug on a different client and came up with this:

*Aug 05 22:57:35.656: 00:1c:f0:bd:28:d8 Invalid MSCB state: ipAddr=10.230.225.39

, regType=2, Dhcp required!

*Aug 05 22:57:36.472: 00:1c:f0:bd:28:d8 Orphan Packet from 10.230.225.39 on mobi

le

*Aug 05 22:57:36.472: 00:1c:f0:bd:28:d8 Invalid MSCB state: ipAddr=10.230.225.39

*Aug 05 22:57:37.472: 00:1c:f0:bd:28:d8 Orphan Packet from 10.230.225.39 on mobi

le

*Aug 05 22:57:37.472: 00:1c:f0:bd:28:d8 Invalid MSCB state: ipAddr=10.230.225.39

didik.indra
Level 1
Level 1

hi eric.

i have same problem with you.

i have internal dhcp server in the controller 44xx. and client cannot get ip address from this dhcp server.the same debug msg you have.

try this solution: it works for me:

1. CONFIGURE  your dhcp server external. not in the controller.

2. set conttoller- interface-choose interface which have the ip of guess range. and put all infor, ip/ subnet correctly. and put dhcp info server point to ip of the gateway /interface  where you  configure guess interface in ASA or your router.

3. go to management interface. put the same info of dhcp.

4. still in the controller, go to WLAN. and in general tab. point interface to the interface of which dhcp configured.

hope its help.

cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: