cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility 802.1X and mac-filter from ACS

ubuntuer0424
Level 1
Level 1

If the  clients identities and mac address are stored in the same ACS server.

In WLC,could a wlan be configured layer2 security with both 802.1x and mac-filtering?

this is really a critical problem for me!

Thanks~

1 Reply 1

Hi,

I am assuming  you are asking if you configure a x  mac of wlan client in MAC filer and the same as user naem in 802.1x ACS database as user name , could you configure it ? what is the effect?

If my understading of your queston is  correct the answer is

Any wlan client will not be allowed to  associate to the network  unless a match is  seen in mac filter in wlc.

But once that is done  it will not able to access  network resources  unless   802.1x authentication is  completed by ACS  against the wlan clients user name which is again a mac  address of client.

i dont see a value for doing this. except that you will block  unnecessary authentication request getting to ACS  by filtering it in the 1st instance.

another scenario is  if you are using mac filtering also on ACS , it should be preceeded by mac filtering and then ACS authentication , as above as far as  ssequence goes hence the same logic applies here.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card