Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 1100 series AP with repeater mode

buraksarrafi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm currently using 1100 & 1200 series b/g AP at our company. How can i configure 1100 series AP with repeater mode? Root AP will be a 1200 series. Cisco's documents did'nt help my issue.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Burak,

Have a look at the following info;

Understanding Repeater Access Points

A repeater access point is not connected to the wired LAN; it is placed within radio range of an access point connected to the wired LAN to extend the range of your infrastructure or to overcome an obstacle that blocks radio communication. You can configure access point/bridge radio as a repeater.

The repeater forwards traffic between wireless users and the wired LAN by sending packets to either another repeater or to an access point connected to the wired LAN. The data is sent through the route that provides the best performance for the client. When you configure the access point/bridge as a repeater, the access point's Ethernet port does not forward traffic.

You can set up a chain of several repeater access points, but throughput for client devices at the end of the repeater chain will be quite low. Because each repeater must receive and then re-transmit each packet on the same channel, throughput is cut in half for each repeater you add to the chain.

A repeater access point associates to the access point with which it has the best connectivity. However, you can specify the access point to which the repeater associates. Setting up a static, specific association between a repeater and a root access point improves repeater performance.

To set up repeaters, you must enable Aironet extensions on both the parent (root) access point and the repeater access points. Aironet extensions, which are enabled by default, improve the access point's ability to understand the capabilities of Cisco Aironet client devices associated with the access point. Disabling Aironet extensions sometimes improves the interoperability between the access point and non-Cisco client devices. Non-Cisco client devices might have difficulty communicating with repeater access points and the root access point to which repeaters are associated.

Note Because the access point/bridge creates a virtual interface for its radio interface, repeater access points associate to the root access point twice: once for the actual interface and once for the virtual interface.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note You cannot configure multiple VLANs on repeater access points. Repeater access points support only the native VLAN

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804158b3.html#wp1051801

Configuring a Repeater Access Point

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080184aa1.html#1034763

Default Configuration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080184aa1.html#35335

Setting Up a Repeater

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080184aa1.html#17823

Guidelines for Repeaters

Use repeaters to serve client devices that do not require high throughput. Repeaters extend the coverage area of your wireless LAN, but they drastically reduce throughput.

Use repeaters when most if not all client devices that associate with the repeaters are Cisco Aironet clients. Non-Cisco client devices sometimes have trouble communicating with repeater access points.

Make sure that the data rates configured on the repeater access point match the data rates on the parent access point.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080184aa1.html#36975

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Dear Rob,

I already read these documents and I followed them. However, I couldn't get a result. The documents don't include any information about 12.3(8)JEA. The AP I've been using as root, is of 1200 series with multiple VLANs. The one I've been using as repeater is of 1100 series. It's okay if I used the native VLAN on the repeater, as you suggested. Do you happen to know of a sample configuration which allows communication between these two (1100 & 1200)?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Burak,

Sorry :( Have a look at this tech note;

Note: You cannot configure multiple VLANs on repeater access points. Repeater access points support only the native VLAN.

Hope this helps!

Rob

hi rob

I just read your excelent reply about this issue, just one more question, what kink of problems have the non-cisco clients when they try connecting to a repeater when they are confiured whith aironet extension? what kind of log i would see in my AP?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card