Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Controller questions

We have a 4402 controller and a WiSM module in our core 6513 switch.

Out of the box our 1131 APs always join the second controller on the WiSM. Is there a means to control which controller it the AP joins out of the box? I do not have any of the controllers set as master. I manually adjust the primary and secondary after the AP is up and running. Was wondering what the tertiary field is for.

All our controllers run the same WLANs. Should I be looking at using mobility groups? I need to read up on that a bit. Do controllers in a group share WLAN information such as a change or addition of a WLAN get pushed to other controllers in the group.

Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Controller questions

I have installed 462 of the 1131 Ap's in our environment, and here is the best way I have found.

With the number of Ap's I am using Layer3 with a DHCP server with a scope for each subnet with option 43 giving the AP's all of the controllers addresses(they need to know all for failover purposes). I actually set one controller as Master (just for the config then I turn off the Master). That way I can monitor a single controller and as AP's come up, I can configure the preferred controllers...Tertiary is just for additional redundancy as a Third prefered Controller.

Mobility Groups: This is really used for active information sharing, not configuration sharing. There is a way to mass configure all controllers through WCS using Templates and applying them to all applicable controllers. I hope this info helps...

1 REPLY

Re: Controller questions

I have installed 462 of the 1131 Ap's in our environment, and here is the best way I have found.

With the number of Ap's I am using Layer3 with a DHCP server with a scope for each subnet with option 43 giving the AP's all of the controllers addresses(they need to know all for failover purposes). I actually set one controller as Master (just for the config then I turn off the Master). That way I can monitor a single controller and as AP's come up, I can configure the preferred controllers...Tertiary is just for additional redundancy as a Third prefered Controller.

Mobility Groups: This is really used for active information sharing, not configuration sharing. There is a way to mass configure all controllers through WCS using Templates and applying them to all applicable controllers. I hope this info helps...

Views
Helpful
Replies