Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Convert from LAP to autonomous mode issue

I bought some after market 1242's for extended coverage in my warehouse. The current 1242's I have are all set up in autonomous mode.

When I console into the AP's I bought they are looking for a CAPWAP -Controller obviously from the previous environment. There is nothing on the AP or in the sh version showing LAP. 

*Mar  1 00:46:37.102: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Did not get log server settings from DHCP.
*Mar  1 00:46:38.104: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Could Not resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.xxx
*Mar  1 00:46:38.106: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Could Not resolve CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.xxx
*Mar  1 00:48:38.106: %CAPWAP-5-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP.

#sh version

#Version 12.4(21a)JA2

System image file is "flash:/c1240-rcvk9w8-mx/c1240-rcvk9w8-mx

I cant seem to be able to reset these to where they aren't looking for the Controller. I can login with the default username and password Cisco/Cisco but I cant do an erase. I get the privileged command prompt but cant do erase star or a config t??? Is there something I'm missing here that I need to to?

So far these commands have worked::

debug capwap console cli

debug capwap client no-reload

So can I downgrade or go back to autonomous mode or do I have to reload an IOS again? I don't have a license so my options there are limited.

Any ideas??? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

If you don't have SmartNet,

If you don't have SmartNet, you will not be able to download the image.  You would need the K9W7 for autonomous if you dont' have a WLC.  If you have other access points with  K9W7, you might be able to extract the image to your tftp server and upload them the the access points that have the K9W8 image.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
5 REPLIES
VIP Purple

HI, As pe your post:System

HI,

As pe your post:

System image file is "flash:/c1240-rcvk9w8-mx/c1240-rcvk9w8-mx

This is lightweight image. for this image you need controller.

If you want to use as autonomous AP. Then you must convert it to Autonomous mode.

Autonomous image code : k9w7

More about images:

http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/understand-access-point-ios-images/

Here is the procedure to convert to autonomous :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/57476/lwapp-autonomous-conversion-and-vice-versa-access-points

http://paulbeyer.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/converting-a-cisco-ap-from-lwapp-to-autonomous-mode/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_NuxdRhQ4

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thank you for the helpful

Thank you for the helpful info!

So after reading some of the info on these links I need to TFTP a new IOS image * k9w7 on to the AP, correct?

My current AP's have Version 12.4(13d)JA

Flash: c1240-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JA

Should I use that one to keep them all the same? Another issue I have is that I can't seem to download the image from Cisco - I dont have an account...is there no other method reverting back to a previous image on the AP?

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Silver

If you don't have SmartNet,

If you don't have SmartNet, you will not be able to download the image.  You would need the K9W7 for autonomous if you dont' have a WLC.  If you have other access points with  K9W7, you might be able to extract the image to your tftp server and upload them the the access points that have the K9W8 image.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

As it happens I do have some

As it happens I do have some more 1242's lying around. I did try and copy via TFTP the image from one of them but some reason I get an error telling me that the file name is a directory and not a file. I've done a sh. flash and got to the below directory but I don't see a *.bin file name anaywhere. I've "cd" into the directory but I still cant find the file.

c1240-k9w7-tar.124-13b.JA

Am i missing something obvious here?

I wasn't in front of my pc

I wasn't in front of my pc when I last replied..

I have included the sh flash...might explain it better.

Directory of flash:/

2  -rwx        5374  Feb 26 2014 10:00:26 +00:00  config.txt
    3  -rwx        2072  Feb 26 2014 10:00:26 +00:00  private-multiple-fs
    4  drwx         320   Jan 1 1970 00:06:05 +00:00  c1240-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JA
  154  -rwx         221   Mar 1 2002 00:00:13 +00:00  env_vars
  155  -rwx           5  Feb 26 2014 10:00:26 +00:00  private-config

I don't see a *.bin file. Is the above image extracted already in its current format?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content