Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

converting existing 2x 7510 setup to HA

Hello,

I'm about to convert an existing setup containing 2x 7510's to a HA setup.

Both boxes are running 7.5.102.0 (in order to support Client SSO)

I've read the "High Availability (SSO) Deployment Guide" for 7.5 but I still have some unanswered questions before switching to HA (and I don't have test-equipment):

• currently wlc1 holds 200 adder licenses and wlc2 holds 100 adder licenses. Both have a base license for 300 AP's.

It's best practice to transfer the 100 adder licenses from wlc2 to wlc1 as this will be the primary unit in HA setup? I'm afraid to loose the 100 licenses and it's no big deal to transfer them in advance.

• Only the redundancy-management interface will need to be configured with the peer-address?

What is the behaviour for the other interfaces (eg: management interface, ap-management interface, ...)? There is only 1 IP in the HA config and it will be transfered to the other wlc in case of switchover?

• Regarding the question above: AP's discover the WLC's through option 43 delivered in the DHCP offer in our setup. Both management interfaces are encoded in the HEX value.

Once I switch to HA, I only need to include 1 management IP in the HEX value as this IP will be transfered in case of failure to the standby WLC?

• The interface that is configured for Dynamic AP management is different than the management interface.

Once I switch to HA, I will only have 1 IP address for the ap-management interface in the HA setup?

• regarding the redundancy port:

It can now be transported over L2, but it is still best practice to connect both WLC's with a direct cable?

• both WLC's are managed via a Cisco Prime Infrastructure appliance (upgraded to 1.4 to support 7.5)

Is it best to convert to HA via Prime? I prefer CLI but I don't want Prime to get out-of-sync with the running WLC config.

I'm also wondering what will "happen" with the 2nd WLC once HA conversion is complete. It will be unreachable for Prime I guess so it needs to be removed to avoid confusion?

many thanks in advance,

Jeroen

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Hi,

• currently wlc1 holds 200 adder licenses and wlc2 holds 100 adder licenses. Both have a base license for 300 AP's.

It's  best practice to transfer the 100 adder licenses from wlc2 to wlc1 as  this will be the primary unit in HA setup? I'm afraid to loose the 100  licenses and it's no big deal to transfer them in advance

you have 7500 WLC, which means you dont have a license, your WLC supports RTU and you can add up to 6000 AP count instantaneously

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps11635/qa_c67-713536.html

• Regarding the question above:  AP's discover the WLC's through option 43 delivered in the DHCP offer in  our setup. Both management interfaces are encoded in the HEX value.

Once  I switch to HA, I only need to include 1 management IP in the HEX value  as this IP will be transfered in case of failure to the standby WLC?

Yes.

• The interface that is configured for Dynamic AP management is different than the management interface.

Once I switch to HA, I will only have 1 IP address for the ap-management interface in the HA setup?

You can configure another dynamic AP manager interface. or move to the management to be the ap manager.

It can now be transported over L2, but it is still best practice to connect both WLC's with a direct cable?

on 7.5, you can use L2 VLAN and not necessary to be connected directly.

• both WLC's are managed via a Cisco Prime Infrastructure appliance (upgraded to 1.4 to support 7.5)

Is it best to convert to HA via Prime? I prefer CLI but I don't want Prime to get out-of-sync with the running WLC config.

I'm  also wondering what will "happen" with the 2nd WLC once HA conversion  is complete. It will be unreachable for Prime I guess so it needs to be  removed to avoid confusion?

i prefer CLI, when the conversion is done, the PI can monitor the pair "as a HA pair"

bottom line, the HA will just combine your two devices to be one "in prespective of the other network devices"

please let me know if you need anything else.

• Only the redundancy-management interface will need to be configured with the peer-address?

What  is the behaviour for the other interfaces (eg: management interface,  ap-management interface, ...)? There is only 1 IP in the HA config and  it will be transfered to the other wlc in case of switchover

yes, both will have the same interfaces addresses

3 REPLIES

Hello,

anybody who could help me with these questions?

regards,

Jeroen

Bronze

Hi,

It's  best practice to transfer the 100 adder licenses from wlc2 to wlc1 as  this will be the primary unit in HA setup? I'm afraid to loose the 100  licenses and it's no big deal to transfer them in advance

you have 7500 WLC, which means you dont have a license, your WLC supports RTU and you can add up to 6000 AP count instantaneously

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps11635/qa_c67-713536.html

• Regarding the question above:  AP's discover the WLC's through option 43 delivered in the DHCP offer in  our setup. Both management interfaces are encoded in the HEX value.

Once  I switch to HA, I only need to include 1 management IP in the HEX value  as this IP will be transfered in case of failure to the standby WLC?

Yes.

You can configure another dynamic AP manager interface. or move to the management to be the ap manager.

on 7.5, you can use L2 VLAN and not necessary to be connected directly.

I'm  also wondering what will "happen" with the 2nd WLC once HA conversion  is complete. It will be unreachable for Prime I guess so it needs to be  removed to avoid confusion?

i prefer CLI, when the conversion is done, the PI can monitor the pair "as a HA pair"

bottom line, the HA will just combine your two devices to be one "in prespective of the other network devices"

please let me know if you need anything else.

What  is the behaviour for the other interfaces (eg: management interface,  ap-management interface, ...)? There is only 1 IP in the HA config and  it will be transfered to the other wlc in case of switchover

yes, both will have the same interfaces addresses

thanks...!

Views
Helpful
Replies